Books on soap making?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lngrid

Reaction score
I'm a little embarrassed because I've flung myself headlong into soap-making. I mean I've been making batch after batch like a saponification addict without really knowing what what in the soap world I'm doing! I don't know anyone else, in person, who makes soap. So things have been turning out (not as well as they would for you but they ARE turning out LOL) but I don't understand why. And I want to.

Remember The Joy of Cooking? Remember how it teaches you the principles of cooking rather than just rote recipes? That's what I want to learn about soap-making, not just recipes.

I would be so grateful for any suggestions anyone has.

*Insert cute, shameless newbie begging here*

Please? Pretty please with swirls and mica on top?

I like Susan Miller Cavitch's books for lots of details, although I use her books as a reference guide when I've a question.

but order a bunch from Amazon, or first go to your public library and get out every book on soapmaking then go to Amazon and buy the ones you like!

I have never bought a book I have used my public library and this forum also how2soap has some nice videos. SMFtutorials is great to.

How I honestly learned to soap..... browsing through forums, I would spot the people who really knew their stuff, and then browse through their old posts. Also, lots of time reading through millersoap.com. I checked soap books out of the library, and definately found usefull info from it - but it didn't teach me anything close to all that's available in forum archives.

Forums are the best!
However, there is one book I am drooling for, the one that has an ad on soapcalc.net (forget what it is called). But it is not in the budget right now. Also, Anne L. Watson's book helps to make soapmaking a less frightening propositon and she will also answer questions via email very quickly.

I'm another with a few years experience that wouldn't recommend any one book in particular.
As it all starts to click, you'll start to recognise good information from bad. Forums are the best because you can ask any question and someone will usually know the answer.
I assume you want to know more from a chemical/scientific perspective?
I could explain it but it probably wouldn't make any sense.
Ian's in Costa Rica.
DonnieJ where are you?

Here's another vote for forums though I will say some are better than others (SMF being one of the better ones of course :) )
I've been on some where things can get a bit catty and off topic.. so I've ditched those forums.

I did start by reading Cavitch's "Natural Soap Making" book. It was a good source of basic info but I learned the hard way that her recipes were not sized for beginners and not all of them were run through a soap calculator (which you should do with ANY recipe).

In the end I probably didn't learn anything from that book that I could not have picked up here... but it was a comfortable way to ease into things.

I also saw a few "instructables" videos that helped me get comfortable with the idea of doing CP myself. Seeing it makes it more real than reading about it. Youtube is a great resource but be warned... there are lots of BAD examples there too from people who just made their first batch and were so excited they decided to make a movie.

Read a lot of old forum posts... ask questions... make lots of small batches... and you will learn everything you need to know.

lol yes the forums are great but I'll wager some of us started soaping before so many resources were available online. I started before I had a computer at home. I am delighted to see some of these forums gain in popularity and information and I've learned far more here and on other forums than from books. But a few books to start are an excellent beginning to truly understand the process!

Latest posts

Back