Book Smart soapmaking

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scaligirl

Reaction score
Has anyone read the book Smart Soap Making by Ann L. Watson? I want a good book for beginners.

Best Book!

The best soapmaking book I've ever read. It's an easy read, not too much information, and it sticks to the basics of what it takes to make oils and lye turn into soap.

There's so much confusing info online (and in books), about temperatures and insulation and...PHEW! Anne's book keeps it simple.

I have the "Soapmaking Bible", The Soapmaker's Companion, and quite honestly, I prefer this book, and Alicia Grosso's Everything Soapmaking.

The BEST Soap Book

The Everything Soapmaking Book (2nd edition) by Alicia Grosso. It touches on all aspects of soaping. Truly truly the 1st and only book (soap bible) I would recommend for a new soapmaker. From equipment to techniques & ingredients to common soapmaking herbs, color, etc. If you are going to CP, it gets into detail, shows pics of what trace looks like. Has alot of recipes but have not tried any, (I really like my own, but that is/was how I learned about oil properties, besides others, and experience :D ) Touches on HP. Gives you ideas on how to present your soap.
I would read read read this book till my eyes hurt, then I took the plunge. After I made soap, I instantly grabbed this book, went over what I did, its a GREAT book.
I just bot the book by Ann L Watson. Its great too! Very calming instructions and advice. So, if you can afford, buy both, if you can afford to buy only one, buy the Everything Soapmaking Boak (2nd edition) by Alicia Grosso, and save up for Annes.
Dang....I'm long winded tonite, sorry guys! Dont mean to be :D Kat OMG, my dog is under my desk and just farted!!!! Gotta go :x

Thanks Kat. I think there was an offer on Amazon for both of those books for like $22.30 or something like that.

I read the everything soapmaking book. It was great! Explains a lot in simple easy to understand sections....then I read Smart Soapmaking....another pretty good book. It was more of a confidence booster really. It basically kept telling you....just follow the recipes exactly and it will all be okay.... :D

I like the Everything Soapmaking book but I also do like kathy Millers site and Smart Soapmaking- though smart soapmaking is not as informative but it does give you the basics. I think that people should read any and all info anyway before making soap or really handling lye- just an opinion though. But the Everything Soapmaking book is well worth the cash! :)

Latest posts

Back