Book reviews requested

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just recently bough Scientific Soapmaking - it's my reading for the holidays!! I also have Pure Soapmaking, Soap Crafting, and a few others that I can't remember. I'm just getting into making soap for body care (as in, I've been reading, and making for a little over 6 months) - I'm a science nerd, and I really like to know how everything works, so I'm really looking forward to reading Scientific Soapmaking!

Also, if you're planning on selling, I really like the book Good Manufacturing Practices - it's a Canadian author (I"m from Canada), but I feel like it's valuable to anyone in production (I make/sell cleaning products, and love making handmade Christmas gifts, which has lead to my addiction to body care now, lol! That, and moving to hard water land.. I NEEDED something for my drying skin, and options here are very restricted!)

which book you refer to? GMPs are a quite wide world :)
Sorry, am posting from work, and couldn't remember the author. It is Marie Gale

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181214-100909_Amazon.jpg
    Screenshot_20181214-100909_Amazon.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 15
Natural soap colour - you can find all the info on line or on this forum.

Jo H is good but all her photos show soap about a week old so the colours are vibrant. Most natural colours in soap fade to nothing after a few months. It’s very disappointing. Clays stick and turmeric and a very few others. Search the forum for further info.

Actually I do want to correct this comment. All my soaps are photographed after their cure. The only ones that are not are visibly wet ones in the mould or ones that specifically mention are not cured. Other than that the rainbow soap line up and ALL other soaps for my book are 6 - 8 weeks old.

Plant colorants will definitely fade. Some faster than others but that is the compromise for knowing that you are using natural colorants. The trick is to learn which ones last the longest and the ways to make the ones that like to fade stay around just that bit longer than they would like.

- jo haslauer

Actually I do want to correct this comment. All my soaps are photographed after their cure. The only ones that are not are visibly wet ones in the mould or ones that specifically mention are not cured. Other than that the rainbow soap line up and ALL other soaps for my book are 6 - 8 weeks old.

Plant colorants will definitely fade. Some faster than others but that is the compromise for knowing that you are using natural colorants. The trick is to learn which ones last the longest and the ways to make the ones that like to fade stay around just that bit longer than they would like.

- jo haslauer
Jo
It’s so good to see you here!♥️ On this forum

Since it seems like this thread has been revived, I'll add my two cents. I love @curlycoat2's book "Natural Colorants" and refer to it often. Her advice is spot on.

I also really like all of the Ultimate Soap e-books by Ashley Greene. She has one each for CP, HP, and LS. They are affordable, available by instant download in any country, and include all the basic science of soapmaking in an easy-to-understand format. She explains fatty acids, and how to formulate a recipe to suit your specific purposes. For instance, I care little about longevity because I don't sell and have lots of soap to use up - but I care lots about lather and conditioning. Using her information, I can formulate a bar that works for me, even if it is not what everyone else would make for themselves. She also gives very basic soapmaking advice, all the way up to more advanced techniques. Because I also like hard copies in front of me while learning or making, I printed mine out and put them in binders.

Hi everyone!

Since none of the libraries in my area carry soapmaking books I think at some point I'll have to invest in buying some books. But before I do I'd like to hear some opinions!
At the moment there are 3 books that I'm interested in:
1. Scientific soapmaking by Kevin Dunn
2. Natural Soap Color ebook by Jo Haslauer
3. Making Transparent Soap by Catherine Failor

Has anyone read these and do you recommend or not? And why?
Any other book suggestions are also welcome!
I started with 3 books read for 3-4 months - 6 classes Attending made my Soaps now I’m on my new project full time business try 3 books:-
The Natural SoapMaking - Kelly Cable
Pure SoapMaking - Anne-Marie Faiola
The complete Guide to Natural - Amanda Gail Aaron - buy from Amazon all the books

Back