Book recommendations?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brynhilde

Reaction score
Any soap book recommendations?

I do have The soapmakers companion,
and Essentially soap,
+ a norwegian book called hjemmelaget såpe.

None of these give me the wanted information on gelling,
and it is nice to have some of my information in form of books
instead of only the net.
Often in a book the information is more systemized.

Please let me know if there are some really good books out there.

So far I’ve read Pure Soapmaking by Anne-Marie Faiola and Making Soap From Scratch by Gregory Lee White. I love both, but I would choose Pure Soapmaking if I had to choose one. Pure Soapmaking have a short, but well written section about gelling. It’s not explained in detail in the latter.

Where did you get the Norwegian book from?

The Soapmaker's Companion is an older book. It's still a good resource for newbie soapers. I also have the latter of what Alexanderte mentioned and Smart Soapmaking by Anne L. Watson along with a few freebies from Amazon (only one of which I feel comfortable sharing but even then, it would be with a more experienced soaper). Watson's books, if you have a kindle, are dirt cheap and for the advice she gives, I still insist on giving the lady my dollar.

Where did you get the Norwegian book from?[/QUOTE]

Bought it from a norwegian bookstore in 2009.
Now you have to buy it on the second hand market.

I might not be a total newbie on soap, but the books and recources I have had access to has lacked much well needed information. Like gelling....

It seems like I am all into gelling. The process fascinates me, and soaps that have been through gel are so much better..

Last edited:
Bought it from a norwegian bookstore in 2009.
Now you have to buy it on the second hand market.
I see. Would be interesting to see some Norwegian soaping terminology.

Hope you find what you’re looking for. I’m completely the opposite – I try to avoid gelling at all costs. If I’ve understood it correctly, then keeping the temperature below 120 °F (49 °F) in the mold prevents the soap from gelling. But I’m a complete newbie – and especially when it comes to gelling, so don’t ask me. :)

If you are at all interested in the science behind soapmaking than Scientific Soapmaking by Kevin Dunn is a must for your library. He goes into gelling, and throughout the book challenges you into experiments.

Would be interesting to see some Norwegian soaping terminology.

The two norwegian books I know about serious soap (not M&p) are:

Hjemmelaget såpe by Torun Ogden
Håndlaget såpe Tatiana Hill.
The last one is translated from english. I didn't buy that one because it was about making so very exclusive soaps. Leaf gold and so on....

Scientific Soapmaking by Kevin Dunn

I'll try to buy that one on my next paycheck.

I don`t have any recomendations for you, Brynhilde, sorry, I have only used this forum and other reputable sources for my soapy adventures, so never got around to get myself a book.

Btw, I am from Norway too, hei på deg!

Could you pop over in the introduction section and introduce yourself to the rest of the gang, and tell us a littlebit about yourself if you feel comfortable with that?

We really appreciate that kind of thing in here, makes the forum more homey, and we get a chance to welcome newcomers, wether they have been soaping for years or just weeks.

Looking forward to see you around here, Brynhilde : )

Latest posts

Back