Book ideas for light reading?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Light reading; no dramas about disease, deaths, car accidents, illness, racism, or anything unpleasant for more than one page.

I Googled "what to read while isolated for pandemic" - and yep....they gave me all Contagion type titles!

Going to re-read some Agatha Christie but looking for fluffy light hearted stuff (probably the stuff I would have rejected reading as too juvenile a year ago!)

I’ve pulled out “the circle of magic” series by Tamara Pierce for when I have time to read. 4 kids who have magic learn about using their magic and help save the town. The last book in the series does have to do with a pandemic but it taught 10 year old me how vaccines are made (or at least medicine for magical plagues and the importance of testing before announcing cures). 4 books in the initial series (aimed at 10 years olds), 4 books in the second series which takes place 4 years later (with a age jump to match readers), and a final book that takes place 4 years after the second series.

also on my list: “the enchanted forest chronicles” series by Patricia C Wrede. The first book is “Dealing with Dragons.” It’s about a princess who doesn’t want to be a fairy tale princess and makes her own story. 4 books, aimed for 10 year olds again.

every February I seem to read “the secret history of the pink carnation” by Lauren Willig. It’s a 13 book series about a female spy during in 1700’s England/France. It’s a romance series with each book focusing on a different couple, but it’s all about trying to thwart Napoleon.

I think I’ll be trying to read through a bunch of my old books when I find time (sock knitting season for me). My niece is 8 months old and has already read 1000 books so I think I’ll start sorting what I have that she might like that’s a bit longer than “see spot run.” (My sister signed my niece up to read 1000 books before kindergarten at her library, she reached that goal 2 weeks ago)

A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman
Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng
Probably anything by Lorna Landvik or Elizabeth Berg
ETA: Harry Potter series if you haven't read it

"A Court of Thorns and Roses" by Sarah J. Maas - fun fantasy escapism.
"Savannah Blues" by Mary Kay Andrews - fun southern mystery/romance

BTW, I'm currently re-reading (for the millionth time) the "Little House" books by Laura Ingalls Wilder because they never get old to me. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Anything by Aussie author - Di Morrissey :thumbs:.
Tears of the moon - about the pearling industry in Broome.
The Reef - about the Barrier Reef.
The Valley.

I like the Agatha Raisin and the Miss Julia series of books.

Also, Hamish MacBeth, which is also by M.C. Beaton.

My current favorite light-weight mystery series features Meg Langslow and is written by Donna Andrews.

I also enjoy the Andy Carpenter series, by David Rosenfelt-- very funny smart-alec sense of humor.

Strange that I don't think of murder mysteries as being about death.

Last year I read Less by Andrew Sean Greer for one of the book clubs I'm in. Half of us found the book funny and enjoyed it, the other half didn't.

I am also a huge fan of Carl Hiaasen's work. Most of his books are set in Miami/Dade County FL and I have found them to be funny.

My hubby recommends A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole.

I hope you find something good to read! Right now I'm reading Altered Carbon (sci-fi) and Catch and Kill (about the Harvey Weinstein investigation), 2 very different books :D

I have started reading the Maisie Dobbs series by Jacqueline Winspear. It is something I certainly would not have been interested in before this situation. But I like reading about her evolution through subsequent books, and she blends in historical events, so it is interesting. Her sense of place (London, beginning before WWI) is excellent. I really enjoyed The Dakota Winters by Tom Barbash. It's not about cold winters in the Dakotas. It's about a family named Winters who lived in the Dakota apartment building with John Lennon. It is fiction, but it also covers historical events around that time. This is a fabulous thread. All of us need some distraction these days.

What about Learning books?

Books on Gardening, container/Patio gardening. Think green and Growing. You can also grow these Indoors too

Or new small hobbies that don't cost much?

Also, if you live in a small community that may have a FB page, what about listing books you could lend out? Just make sure you leave them outside for about 2 weeks before bringing them back in.
OR go through all the books you have a Donate them to people who want a book during this time?

I second (or third) Agatha Christie. If you like sci-fi at all, then anything by Asimov or AC Clark.
Some Tolkien tales maybe, or, if you are into earlier things and you haven't read it, I think you can't beat The Count of Monte Christo.

I'm reading Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace right now. I had started it once a few years ago and didn't have the time and perseverance for it then, but I think it will be quite perfect for this time.

The xanth series by piers anthony. They are fun, pun filled fantasy books and there are a ton of them.

There are battles and some death since its almost set in a medieval type period but with dragons, magic and all kind of antics. They were originally kids books or at least teen books so they are light hearted and kinda corny.

A few years ago I had a nervous breakdown, developed anxiety and agoraphobia. I couldn't look at or read anything that dealt with illness or death, these books were a life saver and gave me a place of retreat from reality.

Light reading; no dramas about disease, deaths, car accidents, illness, racism, or anything unpleasant for more than one page.

I Googled "what to read while isolated for pandemic" - and yep....they gave me all Contagion type titles!

Going to re-read some Agatha Christie but looking for fluffy light hearted stuff (probably the stuff I would have rejected reading as too juvenile a year ago!)
Do you read romance? It's always satisfying and guarantees a happy ending. I write romance. You can find a lot of books on my website shirleyhailstock.net or on any of the book sites.

Do you read romance? It's always satisfying and guarantees a happy ending. I write romance. You can find a lot of books on my website shirleyhailstock.net or on any of the book sites.
You are so cool!

I also go back to the kids shelves for light reading. @BattleGnome Dealing with Dragons is wonderful, and we used to fight over Tamora Pierce books (Lioness Quartet) when they arrived at the school library. I also just read for maybe the 10th time Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones. And of course, the Harry Potter series must be read a few times by everyone.

For mystery novels without any deaths, The Spellman Files by Lisa Lutz, and all the books that follow are hilarious. A family of private investigators. I also love Agatha Christie and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. After that, things get a little darker on my bookshelves.

I read a little of everything, except abuse books. I'm reading THE INSTITUTE by Stephen King, which is abuse, but he's one I can forgive. If it gets too gritty, I skip it. The stories are riveting, but not recommended for light reading.

If you're into Urban Fantasy

Ilona Andrews- Pretty much anything this duo of husband and wife writes. They can write the phone book and I'll buy it. Kate Daniels Series, Hidden Legacy Series, The Iron Covenant (recommend reading this after the Kate Daniels), Inkeeper Series, The Edge.

Patricia Briggs- Mercy Thompson Series, Alpha and Omega Series. Those are the two I auto buy, but she has many others.

Seanan McGuire- October Day Series and many more.

Good variety of recommendations so far.

Back