Boo!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First attempt at a Ghost Swirl. It sure is ghostly - I can hardly see it! Needed to try it though, and I could probably do it better than I have, but I don't think I will do it again. I remain unimpressed.
I did notice, though, that it was very easy to get it out of the mould. I usually soap with 28% lye concentration ( which I did for the 'ghost' part of this soap, and the balance of the recipe was at 45%. Boy, what a difference it makes to the soap setting up nice and hard! I'm assuming it was that, and not the CPOP that helped it to set harder, quicker?
fullsizeoutput_4f89.jpeg

I see it! Pretty!! I am a newbie and I usually calculate the lye concentration to 35% based on something I read somewhere. What range is usually used by experiences soapers?

Nicely done, KiwiMoose. I also did a plain white on white Ghost Swirl when I did my high & low water experiments and was not as impressed as the colored ones. I did several with different colors, and that's how I learned the Red Brick Oxide color migrates over time throughout the soap. The different resulting soaps were fun, but as you say, the no-color on no-color was less impressive, IMO. Although some plain ones I've seen online look really pretty. I think yours is pretty, too.

I also did a low & high water in a gray base to represent concrete (for a mosaic soap) and I thought that turned out well. As the soap was used, the varied coloration looked kind of cool.

Back