Bogota Soaping

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackeline

Reaction score
Hi!! I was wondering if anyone could give me recepie to make swirls in cold process...I live in bogota, Colombia ...almost 3000 thousand feet above sea level and all my recepies get hard real fast!!
Can anyone help me ??

Hi!! I was wondering if anyone could give me recepie to make swirls in cold process...I live in bogota, Colombia ...almost 3000 thousand feet above sea level and all my recepies get hard real fast!!
Can anyone help me ??

Hello. You may want to start by introducing yourself in the introduction and tell us a little about you. Then start a new post as this is a really old thread. Welcome

Jackeline,
I'm at 4,327 feet above sea level (I Googled it :grin:) and have had no such issues, I don't believe that elevation has any affect on your soap (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). Well, it may affect cook time in HP but I think that's it.

I made THIS recipe and found it to be quite slow tracing. If you look through the website, you'll find they probably have a basic recipe that is specifically for swirling that would give you the time you're wanting (look for recipes with more liquid oils).
Are you possibly bringing your soap to a heavy trace? The most common recommendation is to just bring things to just past emulsification so your batter is very fluid when you begin to work. Pre-disperse your colorants (some also sift them so there's no lumps) so you just have to use a short burst with your SB to make sure their incorporated.
I'd look through the SoapQueen site, there's a lot of good information.

Edit: Sorry Shunt, I must have been typing diligently away and not seen your comment about a new thread.

Last edited:
Thanks very much for your answer!!
And...would you give me a recepie?
I would appreciate it very much!

Jackeline, just to maximize answers on your post, I think you should follow Shunt's advice to start a new one in the beginner's thread. I'm sure you will get lots of responses and information. Ditto on the welcome!

Last edited:
Thanks very much for your answer!!
And...would you give me a recepie?
I would appreciate it very much!

As above, but also letting us know what recipes you have used before that you like, what oils you can buy and so on - no point people suggesting something that you already have tried or can't actually buy

Ok...you are right...thanks again!

Ok...I can get here coconut oil, Palm
Oil, olive oil, sunflower oil, castor oil ,
Rice bran oil , canola oil....I guess that's just about it
Of course my favorite recepies are made with olive oil, castor , Palm and coconut...
You say I need more liquid oils ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jacqueline, I agree w/Mrs. S on the altitude level. I used to live at 7500 sft above, and I can't think of why anything there would have effected soaping unless you are using the oven (it did make a diff for baking). Have you soaped elsewhere using the same recipe/process and noticed a difference?

Also, can you find lard/manteca? That is the favorite soaping oil for many of us.

ETA: I take it back! I just read this active thread, and one of the posters says there *is* a difference w/altitude, I don't know what exactly, though. You might want to post on it and ask her ....

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=55314&page=3

Last edited:
You may want to give us one of your tried recipes that get hard on you too fast for swirls so we can help you troubleshoot.

How hot are you soaping?

LOL Effy..being your reg awesome self today I see :lol:

I'm at 8400 feet and cannot compare it to CP/HP soaping at lower elevations though I can say that things do evaporate much faster than at sea level (M&P gets a skin incredibly fast - though that might be due to the drier climate).

Take a look at the slow-tracing recipe threads folks already mentioned... If you can use lard instead of palm - that's a big help. Try reducing the stick-blending you're doing. I spend *a lot* less time with it turned on than any of the videos I've watched. I normally end up hand stirring with it, giving it few pulses, then hand stirring until my batter is just emulsified. It only takes a couple of minutes. If you're using a FO, add that to your oils ahead of time so you won't need to stick blend it in later. I also soap around 90ish (or less) and use a 30% lye concentration... so I do manage to do it with a water discount.

LOL Effy..being your reg awesome self today I see :lol:

It was the pimms and lemonade talking!

I do find the sea-level topic interesting. The pressure of course causes molecules to behave differently in some ways (boiling point of water, for example) so the interaction of lye and oils could be impacted

Back