Body spray

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FOhoarder

Reaction score
I tried my stab at a body spray last night and while it smells wonderful it looks disgusting! Here is the recipe I used (which I found here in a search)...

5 oz. distiller water
2 oz. witch hazel
.5 oz. polysorbate 20
1 tsp. FO
1/2 tsp. glycerin

I did add a smidgen of preservative...liquid germall plus.

What's disgusting you ask? Well it has dark brown liquid that doesn't seem to want to mix in. I think my FO was the culprit because it has vanilla in it. Was I supposed to mix the FO with the modifier before adding it to the mix? I just added water first then witch hazel, poly 20, glycerin and FO to my bottle then the preserv. Shook it all up and it looked fine until this morning. Should I not be using any fos with vanilla in it? Is there a guideline to body spray fos that I should be following? TIA everyone!

When I use poly 20, I've always used it 1 part poly 20 to 1 part fo & mixed them together and let them sit for an hour or so before adding them to my recipe.

I have no idea if that's what makes them not separate or not though. That's just how I was told to do it when I first started using it & I've never strayed.

Color changing fo's, especially those with a lot of vanillin in them, can turn lotions, body washes, etc. colors as well. So most likely it is your fo.

Most likely, the discoloration is due to the vanilla scent. Also, as Genny described, the Poly20 needs to be fully
mixed with the scented oil first, although I don't allow it to sit for so long, I do make sure that the Poly20 and scent are fully mixed together before adding other liquids. When handling the Poly20, wear gloves.One other thing I would like to ask ... are you using a witch hazel hydrosol? If it's not pure witch hazel and it's a store-bought brand, then it most likely has rubbing alcohol in it, which isn't the best thing.

Kathy

Thanks Genny and Kathy! I made another small bottle and mixed the FO with the poly first and it seemed to work much better.

Now, the witch hazel I'm using is another story! I am in fact using a store bought brand and it sure does say it contains 14% alcohol. So that's no good? First I've heard of a witch hazel hydrosol. I'll have to read up on this one. I see witch hazel in many recipes and never once saw this. What does the alcohol amount do to the mix?

Well I did a quick search and its awful pricey! Are you not supposed to use the store bought stuff? Does anyone out there use it in their products?

I have never used witch hazel, but I do use cyclomethicone (sp)???. That stuff works great and adds a smooth silky feeling to skin. Its not expensive and it goes a long way. It also makes a great hair detangler and hair shiner spray..

The thing about the alcohol content in the store bought witch hazel is that it tends to be drying upon the skin. And, if you are wanting a more natural product, then that would not be an ingredient you would really want. You might try mixing a bit more distilled water with a witch hazel hydrosol ...? Are you using the witch hazel for its astringent properties? If not, then you could also go with a floral water of sorts instead ...
just a thought!

Kathy

Thanks everyone! I'm going to do more research on cyiclomethicone. If I recall its a silicone based oil? I remember reading that your floor can get quite slippery after spraying? Does this seem to be a problem flavapor? I do want a more silky feel to my skin when I use so I'm definitely looking into this one.

I'm going to ditch witch hazel all together for now. I dont want any drying alcohol on my skin. Floral waters sound like a great idea!

yes it can make the floor slippery, but I manage to do a pretty good job of spraying onto my body, but I always do it on my bathroom rug just in case.

Dont do it in the shower, ask my husband how we know :D

preservative help

I'm so loss when it comes to adding preservative, if im making 8 oz of body spray, the amount is so small i dont know how much to add. also my daughter bought a eo oil and the lady mixed it with something before we bought it, does anyone know what she may have mixed it with?

Back