Body Oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamagirl

Reaction score
I guess I am off on a new adventure. I looked into making LS, but decided that since my favorite bar works well, that maybe I should just try to make some lotion, but then I bought a thing of Palmer's Body Oil and it is doing great things for my skin, so I decided it would be easier and I think I like body oil better. So of course, I done my research and from what I can gather so far:
-----I don't really need a preservative in it
----- Basically mix the oils I want and add some fragrance or essential oil and done

So, when researching oils, here's the ones I would like to try (and not really all in the same batch, just some that I am interested in)
--liquid coconut oil (as the main ingredient)
--Walnut oil
--Avocado oil
-- Grapeseed oil
--Macadamia
--Rice Bran
--Rosehip Seed
--Vitamin E

I plan on making really small batches (like between 2-4 oz total) so that I can get a feel for what my skin likes.

Have any of you made your own body oil combinations? Any tips you can give me? Do you use Isopropyl Myristate to counteract the oiliness or do you think the oils I have chosen would absorb well and not have a greasy feeling? Any other oils that you really like? Also, one further thing I want to mention---- I really, really want to put this in a spray bottle so if any of you have used the above oils, do you think it would be thin enough?

Hi Bamagirl,

Blending oils was how I got into soapmaking ... I started with preservative free oil, infusion and wax blends, but mine were at the thicker end of the scale, so more for rubbing into the skin rather than spraying on.

I do know that most of the drying oils will leave a residue that will build up and clog spray nozzles over time (Walnut is one that will do this), but you might find a cleaning method that stops this.

I'll leave it to others to comment on Isopropyl Myristate - I hope someone will come along who uses thinner oil mixes :)

Grapeseed & rosehip are light oils and fairly oderless. Both have a short shelf-life. Sweet almond oil is a light oil with a longer shelf-lfe. Depending on what you are looking for in a body oil, I would probably go with a lighter oil, with a longer shelf-life.

Last edited:
Grapeseed, rosehip are light oils and fairly oderless. Both have a short shelf-life. Sweet almond oil is a light oil with a longer shelf-lfe. Depending on what you are looking for in a body oil, I would probably go with a lighter oil, with a longer shelf-life.

I was thinking if I decided to use either, I would only make in super small batches to be used up within a month, but didn't think about it doesn't really matter where I have the oil, the shelf life is the same---one of those "duh" moments. So I may lean towards the sweet almond oil, especially since I only make stuff for me and wouldn't need allot of oil.

Hi Bamagirl,

Blending oils was how I got into soapmaking ... I started with preservative free oil, infusion and wax blends, but mine were at the thicker end of the scale, so more for rubbing into the skin rather than spraying on.

I do know that most of the drying oils will leave a residue that will build up and clog spray nozzles over time (Walnut is one that will do this), but you might find a cleaning method that stops this.

I'll leave it to others to comment on Isopropyl Myristate - I hope someone will come along who uses thinner oil mixes :)

So you don't have any problem with the greasiness without the Isopropyl Myristate? The only reason I wanted to spray it is that I hate pouring it in my hand lol. Right now I have the body oil I bought in a spray bottle and spray it into my hand and then rub it in, for some reason in my mind it helps me control how much I use lol.

@Bamagirl I went the other way, and made balm's/ointments - trying to apply runny oil doesn't appeal to me either! I like it at about the texture of a thick lotion, or maybe lip gloss? - not so thick it's hard to apply, but not so thin it is runny - I want to put some on my palm and not have it go everywhere :)

The greasiness is a bit oil dependent - I don't use coconut because I don't like the feel of it, but sweet almond oil I like very much. I tend to use rosehip oil, evening primrose oils, and jojoba ... safflower is an oil that I have only recently started using (it wasn't in my original selection) as a result of wanting to have a scentless oil to dilute a very expensive (native) EO, and I like that one a bit too. There are a few - I still use avocado, even with it being thicker and fairly short lived - the oil is nice on skin & with it being in balm form (with a little beeswax), the thickness isn't as much of an issue.

In a (typically) 4oz bottle, I combine Sweet Almond oil and some Avocado oil with a blend of EOs. My skin is most happy if I spritz or rub it on right after showering and before blotting dry with a towel. I don’t need to worry about a greasy feel on my hands afterwards. Also, I used to try to spritz it over my body, but ended up putting a nickel or quarter-sized amount in the palm of my hand and then rubbing it everywhere. That amount was enough to cover my body. I didn’t have to worry then about dropping the amber glass bottle squirting on more or getting the other hand/arm. Another bonus to the after-shower oil was that I didn’t have to slather on lotion before dressing. Btw, my skin is very dry and typically hates me during fall, winter, and spring.

Latest posts

Back