Body oil trials

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dawni

Reaction score
I got a request a few months back, to make a body oil that matches this lady's order of soap and lotion bars. By match, I meant scent.

The recipe I came up with is:
28% jojoba, sunflower
20% apricot kernel, rice bran
2% marula silicone oil
1% vitamin E
The rest will be essential oils, depending on their usage rates

Comments are needed please, to improve on this, or if its fine as is. You think I should switch out any oils? Add/remove another and decrease/increase % of each?

I've tried this btw.. Feels lovely. One other thing I need to determine is shelf life. Any ideas? Thank you!

"...28% jojoba, sunflower
..."

Dawni, I take it you mean 28% jojoba, 28% sunflower, 20% apricot, 20% RBO?

If the sunflower is high oleic, I'd be pretty comfortable with this blend as long as it feels nice on the skin.

Even with the jojoba in there, I'd be a little concerned if you used conventional sunflower. Conventional sunflower + RBO would make this blend fairly high in linoleic acid and thus more prone to rancidity.

I wouldn't add the vitamin E if you're specifically including it as an antioxidant for the fats. It's certainly good for the skin, but not necessarily a good choice as an antioxidant for fats.

ROE would be a better choice as an antioxidant for the fats, as long as the ROE odor is acceptable in the finished product. If you were using an herby blend of EOs, any added scent from the ROE might be fine.

"...28% jojoba, sunflower
..."

Dawni, I take it you mean 28% jojoba, 28% sunflower, 20% apricot, 20% RBO?

If the sunflower is high oleic, I'd be pretty comfortable with this blend as long as it feels nice on the skin.

Even with the jojoba in there, I'd be a little concerned if you used conventional sunflower. Conventional sunflower + RBO would make this blend fairly high in linoleic acid and thus more prone to rancidity.
Yep! That's right, the percentages. And the sunflower is high oleic. I should have mentioned.

I was 50/50 on the RBO.... I mainly used it coz I have lots of it lol and it's pretty affordable for me, even the cold pressed one (not the one I use for soaping, which is even cheaper lol). I think I should try a blend that doesn't include it and see how it feels.

I wouldn't add the vitamin E if you're specifically including it as an antioxidant for the fats. It's certainly good for the skin, but not necessarily a good choice as an antioxidant for fats.

ROE would be a better choice as an antioxidant for the fats, as long as the ROE odor is acceptable in the finished product. If you were using an herby blend of EOs, any added scent from the ROE might be fine.
Yes on ROE. I've read enough on this forum to know its what I should have. I recently found a source, hence me saying yes to making this body oil (incidentally I am testing it on my face too) but I haven't bought it yet, coz they don't sell small quantities of it.

I figured I'd get the formula down first, then commit to the ROE, when I'm ready for selling (the oil). That will go hand in hand with my buying even the soaping oils in bigger quantities.

The vit. E is for label appeal lol, and that additional oomph :)

Thank you!

Latest posts

Back