Body Oil Feedback

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TBandCW

Reaction score
Avocado oil was mentioned on the lye soap thread and I'm now thinking of subbing out grapeseed oil for avocado oil in my body oil line. I've heard grapeseed oil has a short shelf life and avocado oil is good for a year. It might step up my body oil too! Do you think this is a good idea?:confused: Worth the extra cost?:confused: I've had folks not get my lip balm because it has avocado oil in it, are avocado allergies common?:confused:

Thanks!:)

Olive oil will be more greasy than the grapeseed oil. I use it in my solid lotion bars, scrub, soap and body butter but haven't tried it in a body oil. You can certainly give it a try.

I've not had anybody say they had an allergy to it but I'm sure it's possible. It's not stopped folks from buying it.

For body oil you need to use "dry" and light oils; macademia, sweet Almond, Abyssinian, and few others. Avocado I use in body butters or hand creams, soaps:)) Hair serum:)

I have a good friend who is allergic to avocado. I only just found out when I gifted her a bar of my soap with 30% avocado oil in it for Christmas (it's a good thing I label all my ingredients).

Ditto what Dahila said. From what I've heard from a couple of massage therapists, you want to go with light oils since heavier oils tend to goop up on the skin. Avocado is a pretty heavy oil. Grapeseed oil seems to be one of their favorites (at least to those that I've talked to).

IrishLass :)

Awesome! Thanks all! Now I know why I see sweet almond oil used in almost every scrub recipe I read. I had some at one point years ago, but never really used it for much. I will be ordering it soon! :)

Another thing massage therapists like is oils that wash out of their linens reasonably easily. My friend is a massage therapist and she is very particular about her linens looking clean and fresh. If I remember De correctly, she says coconut oil comes out fairly easily in the wash. Not sure about other oils -- I will ask her if you're interested.

Another thing massage therapists like is oils that wash out of their linens reasonably easily. My friend is a massage therapist and she is very particular about her linens looking clean and fresh. If I remember De correctly, she says coconut oil comes out fairly easily in the wash. Not sure about other oils -- I will ask her if you're interested.

Thank you, I'd appreciated that!:)

Back