body Lotion

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donna75126

Reaction score
I am making some lotion and the reciepe calls for wheatgerm oil..Is there another oil that can be used?

pretty much any other oil that you want! if you want the lotion consistency to be the same you would want to use another oil with the same weight/body.
I love olive oil if you're not already using it in that recipe.

Hi Donna, Sunny is correct, You can subsitute it for any other oil you would like depending what you are looking to achieve from your lotion. Why are you trying to stay away from wheat germ oil. Wheat Germ Oil is a wonderful ingredient to add to bodycare and cosmetic products because of its anti-oxidant and regenerative properties

be aware that the selection of oils impacts the HBL and you may need to adjust your emulsifier.

I cannot find Wheat Germ Oil so I was wanting to use something else. What about grapeseed?

HLB values are pretty easy to calculate. Swiftcraftymonkey's blog has tons of great HLB information on it, and I figured out how to calculate it from there.

OR, even easier, you can find an oil with the same/close HLB value (wheat germ oil is 7), and with the same general oil properties/oil weight and sub it into your recipe. Other oils with a HLB of 7:sweet almond, sunflower, soybean, sesame,rice bran, olive, macadamia nut, grapeseed, evening primrose, canola, borage, apricot kernel, and avocado oils. And more. BUT not all of those will work- look up the properties of the oil you are subbing for, and see if the properties of any of these oils match up. sweet almond or apricot kernel oil would probably be a good substitute.

Latest posts

Back