Body butters

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheema

Reaction score
I can not stop my body butters from getting hard in side the jar wat is going on smh

Hi Sheema!

Welcome!

Now, although we are some pretty awesome people on this forum, none of us are psychic. Could you please share your recipe and your method, and maybe some more detail about the problem you are having? There are many possibilities as to what the problem could be, and if you share what you actually did, we could narrow things down and maybe help you that way.

You could always add more liquid oils. More liquid oils makes for a softer end product. I have made a batch before that was too hard. Then just added some liquid oil (argon, acia and sweet almond) to make a more creamy less stiff butter. Hope all works out for you

It is very dependant on your geographical location (local temperature etc)

This video is excellent and explains the ratios brilliantly.

I can not stop my body butters from getting hard in side the jar wat is going on smh
Hi Sherman, I am a new member and a new-one year-soaper. I’m taking a leap here and guessing your question is about body butters and not lotions so correct me if I am wrong. First, with a pure body butter (no water) you need to research your butter hardnesses. Try Wholesale Supplies Plus resources page. They have a grear tutorial on butters of various types, then oils and their heaviness and some basic butter recipes that you can tweak to your preference. Because of how you phrased your question I want to guess you used too much of a hard butter like kokum or cocoa. Now, I adore kokum butter-it’s my favorite-so I always want to add more to my recipe but it will get too hard so I have to hold back. Say you’re making 16 ounces of whipped body butter. Use no more than two ounces kokum or cocoa and then use softer butters like mango, shea or sal for the soft butters. Add your 25percent liquid oils, fragrance, preservative (I use one always, just in case!) and don’t forget your isopropyl myristate or tapioca starch and vitamin E. I like to add yogurt or honey powder to mine, too. Don’t whip your mixture too long because then it seizes up and gets hard. I keep my whipping under 3 minutes
I hope I was on the right track here and good luck!

Hi Sherman, I am a new member and a new-one year-soaper. I’m taking a leap here and guessing your question is about body butters and not lotions so correct me if I am wrong. First, with a pure body butter (no water) you need to research your butter hardnesses. Try Wholesale Supplies Plus resources page. They have a grear tutorial on butters of various types, then oils and their heaviness and some basic butter recipes that you can tweak to your preference. Because of how you phrased your question I want to guess you used too much of a hard butter like kokum or cocoa. Now, I adore kokum butter-it’s my favorite-so I always want to add more to my recipe but it will get too hard so I have to hold back. Say you’re making 16 ounces of whipped body butter. Use no more than two ounces kokum or cocoa and then use softer butters like mango, shea or sal for the soft butters. Add your 25percent liquid oils, fragrance, preservative (I use one always, just in case!) and don’t forget your isopropyl myristate or tapioca starch and vitamin E. I like to add yogurt or honey powder to mine, too. Don’t whip your mixture too long because then it seizes up and gets hard. I keep my whipping under 3 minutes
I hope I was on the right track here and good luck!
Darn spellcheck! Hi

Darn spellcheck! Hi Sherman!

Back