Body Butter

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenmarie82

Reaction score
I need a good recipe for a shea body butter. I just tried making some and added some shea butter, cocoa butter and avocado oil and heated in microwave till soft and then whipped with mixer and added FO. It's too greasy and too soft. I want a light butter that's not greasy. HELP!!

You can add cornstarch or natrasorb or dryflo af or fine tapioca starch powder - they all help cut the greasies. Hop over to the bath and body forum and have a look around. There are a lot of experienced butter makers there who have tweaked their preferred recipes.

I am only very new at body butters, but I add 1 tsp natrasorb and 1 tsp liquid glycerine to a batch by weight of 185-200 gram butters/oils. It adds creaminess (the glycerine) and helps cut greasiness. HTH!

Tanya :)

lotion bar

i dont know if this will help, but here is a non greasy lotion bar that can be put in a lotion dispenser stick like a deoderant. i cant take credit for the recipe, it was posted in a different forum, but it is lovely!

7 oz beeswax
4 oz shea butter
1 oz coco butter
2 oz olive or macadamia or apricot kernel
2 oz jojoba
2 oz virgin coconut oil

2 tsp isopropyl mistreate
2 tsp f/o

that does look like a nice lotion bar recipe, but your FO load is QUITE high at 5.6%. I'd strongly suggest you contact an FO vendor before going that high in a leave-on product as not all are approved for that use rate.

Typical use levels in leave-on products is closer to 1% in my experience, though it obviously may differ with with the FO.

butter

yes-i've never used it, but didn't feel it was my place to modify it-since it was not my recipe.

from what i've read isopropyl mystrate helps creams soak into the skin easier and makes for a smoother application.

you may want to check with www.lotioncrafter.com they have a great 'site.

Latest posts

Back