Body butter recommendation

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i want to make something nice for my Godmother. I have onhand, mango and shea butters, apricot kernel, rosehip, jojoba, primrose, beeswax,
Which would be the least greasy?
Also, I want to use the jojoba, rosehip and primrose (thank you mischief) for face, is there anything I can combine it with so that it's more firm so it can be put in a jar? I don't have any kind of receptacle for something so liquid!
Thank you!

You can pick up a few squeeze bottles as Dollar Tree, hobby stores, Wal-Mart (with the travel sized shampoos), and 5 below.

Body butter is, by nature, kind of greasy. I really like to use rice bran, coconut and meadowfoam b/c they absorb quickly so the greasiness doesn't last. I wouldn't use beeswax - just too hard!

You can pick up a few squeeze bottles as Dollar Tree, hobby stores, Wal-Mart (with the travel sized shampoos), and 5 below.

Body butter is, by nature, kind of greasy. I really like to use rice bran, coconut and meadowfoam b/c they absorb quickly so the greasiness doesn't last. I wouldn't use beeswax - just too hard!
I was just thinking, I have some roll on bottles! That will work until I come up with something a little nicer!!
Sadly, I only have the oils above, and I am seeing her on Sunday

Rose hip oil is supposed to be great for aging skin. Glycerin is a humectant, so adding a little of that may be good for dry skin. You might also want to check out hydrolyzed proteins and allantoin to see what they will bring to your recipe. Rose geranium EO is one of my favorites for facial products. I like the whipped body butters. That way I don't have to fool with melting shea or mango butter and I don't worry about graininess. Soapqueen Tv has tutorials on whipped body butter.
https://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-...to-make-whipped-body-butter-on-soap-queen-tv/

Shea adds some grease feeling, personally I would stick to mango butter, as it is a dry-touch one.
All the other oils you have are reasonably fast-absorbing and both rosehip, primrose, and jojoba are wonderful for older skin types!

We never tried, but many add starches like arrowroot powder to body butter, it helps with a more powdery-feeling, and cuts drag of the heavier oils and butters.

I would stay away from beeswax, as it is heavy, draggy, and sometimes even sticky. Unless you want to make a nice foot-balm (I love beeswax in foot balms!).

Also, in terms of spreading ability, have you considered whipping the butter? It helps a lot with spreadability and in controlling the amount of butter you use!

Yes, I plan to do exactly that, whipped butter. I have only made one for myself using shea, apricot kernel and arrowroot. Now that I have mango butter, I will use that. For liquid oils I am considering the above on hand. Is the apricot kernel the best choice? I've never tried the jojoba, I guess I should open it and give it a try!!

They are all good oils for the skin! Definitely rosehip and primrose are fantastic and dry-feeling. Apricot kernel is on the heavier side of the oils you mentioned, but not bad at all, and cheaper!
In formulating, try to keep an eye on the temperatures your whipped butter will be subjected to. It seems you are in FL, so hot and humid weathers are not friendly to whipped butters. It won't make it bad, only not whipped anymore :)

On the cautious side, keep liquid oils at a minimum (<10%), but it will also depend on the hard butter you are using (I find mango softer than shea. Sal butter is slightly harder, cocoa butter definitely hard).

If so, you can add some melted cocoa butter while whipping, it will cool down and make a harder, stiffer whip, stable to drastic ups in temperatures.

Wow!! The one that I made for myself was 50/50! So, higher on the butter, ok!
I just did some mango butter on the back of one hand and apricot on the other, big difference!

Edit
I do have palm kernel flakes...

Last edited:
image.jpg
I’ve never used PKO in body butter so can’t speak to that. You can certainly try it.
Well, I'm looking at all of the warnings on the back, I think I'll leave it out!! I also considered argon oil, but it has a strange scent!!
With what I have on hand, I think I'm going to go with 50% mango butter, 25% shea, 10% coconut, 15% jojoba. What do you think?

View attachment 29456
Well, I'm looking at all of the warnings on the back, I think I'll leave it out!! I also considered argon oil, but it has a strange scent!!
With what I have on hand, I think I'm going to go with 50% mango butter, 25% shea, 10% coconut, 15% jojoba. What do you think?
What is the product in the pictured bag? I have not seen that warning on PKO, and it seems a bit over the top to me for a commonly used soaping oil. Your quote is about PKO, which is why I mention it, but I just would not expect that warning. People all over the world cook with palm, so I am confused.

Yeah, WSP uses the same bags for everything, so the exact warnings are on every product, regardless if it's really necessary. I was a little concerned about that when I first ordered from them too. :)

Isg , oat protein and allantoin is water soluble so for anhydrous products it is not good, Only if she has oil soluble. I use allantoin in every facial lotion. It is awesome

Latest posts

Back