body butter recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmarvel

Reaction score
I want to make a body butter for myself. These are the butter and oils I have. What can I do with these?? :)

Olive Oil
Avocado Oil
coconut oil
Palm oil
Shea butter

Kathie

Shea and Avocado or Shea and Coconut would work. Either way it will be fairly greasy. You could add a bit of arrowroot powder or baking soda to help with the greasiness.

I like to use 1/3 hard oils, 1/3 coconut & 1/3 soft oils.

My last batch, which is a definite do again was:

Hard oils: 2 oz shea & 2 oz mango
Coconut oil - 4 oz
Soft oils: 3 oz lavender infused hemp oil, 1 oz jojoba
added some ROE and Vit E oil as antioxidants, and lavender EO

I whipped it up a bit, so it was fluffier. It goes on a little greasy but sinks right in. I work outside and in some pretty harsh environments, and it's been a lifesaver.

Use the olive and avocado in your list, mostly or all avocado, up to you. Shea for the hard oil, and you'll be set.

Coconut oil - 4 oz

I whipped it up a bit, so it was fluffier. It goes on a little greasy but sinks right in. I work outside and in some pretty harsh environments, and it's been a lifesaver.

Use the olive and avocado in your list, mostly or all avocado, up to you. Shea for the hard oil, and you'll be set.

Ok, I am having a senior moment here.

This recipe sounds great......sort of. lol

ok, hard oils: Shea and mango. 2 oz each
soft oils: coconut oil 4 oz
avocado oil ????
jojoba oil 1 oz
different soft oil than hemp?????
what is ROE???

:shock::shock::shock:

avocado oil ????
jojoba oil 1 oz
what is ROE???

Avocado oil is liquid also, you could substitute that in for the 3 oz of help oil she used. ROE is rosemary oleoresin extract, which is used as an antioxidant to keep the oils from going rancid as fast.

If I might give you a bit of advice here, before making a 12 oz batch of body butter that you are not sure you like or not, try using smaller amounts for a test batch using the same proportions:

14 grams hard oils- Shea butter alone and/or mixed with Mango(if you go buy some)
14 grams coconut oil
14 grams soft oils-10 grams being avocado or olive(it is what you have on hand, so you can use those) and 4 grams of jojoba(if you get it)

This will give you about 1.5 oz of body butter, which is enough for a good test without having a bunch left over if you decide it is not something you like.

The best thing about the recipe that Seawolfe gave you is that it is proportions, so you can swap out the butters and oils you want to try and still have a good, solid, reliable product while making smaller or larger batches.

Last edited:

avocado oil ????
jojoba oil 1 oz
what is ROE???

Since they were in equal proportions I wanted 4 oz of each type of oil, hard, coconut and soft.
2 oz shea & 2 oz mango = 4 oz
3 oz hemp oil + 1 oz jojoba = 4 oz - I was recommending using Avocado instead of hemp and jojoba
see? :)

ROE is an antioxidant for oils - I wanted it for the hemp oil and for it to travel better,

Shea and Avocado or Shea and Coconut would work. Either way it will be fairly greasy. You could add a bit of arrowroot powder or baking soda to help with the greasiness.

About how much arrowroot do you add compared to your oils? Are we in the "pinch" range, or more like the teaspoon range?

It would totally depend on the amount of your recipe. I would just add it a bit at a time until
it feels right to your skin. I actually use Isopropyl Myristate in my body butter now as there isn't any grit to it which can happen if you use too much arrowroot or baking powder. It becomes a personal choice.

Avocado oil is liquid also, you could substitute that in for the 3 oz of help oil she used. ROE is rosemary oleoresin extract, which is used as an antioxidant to keep the oils from going rancid as fast.

If I might give you a bit of advice here, before making a 12 oz batch of body butter that you are not sure you like or not, try using smaller amounts for a test batch using the same proportions:

14 grams hard oils- Shea butter alone and/or mixed with Mango(if you go buy some)
14 grams coconut oil
14 grams soft oils-10 grams being avocado or olive(it is what you have on hand, so you can use those) and 4 grams of jojoba(if you get it)

This will give you about 1.5 oz of body butter, which is enough for a good test without having a bunch left over if you decide it is not something you like.

The best thing about the recipe that Seawolfe gave you is that it is proportions, so you can swap out the butters and oils you want to try and still have a good, solid, reliable product while making smaller or larger batches.

Excellent idea!!!! Thank you all for your help. :clap:

Since they were in equal proportions I wanted 4 oz of each type of oil, hard, coconut and soft.
2 oz shea & 2 oz mango = 4 oz
3 oz hemp oil + 1 oz jojoba = 4 oz - I was recommending using Avocado instead of hemp and jojoba
see? :)

ROE is an antioxidant for oils - I wanted it for the hemp oil and for it to travel better,

oh, ok. Makes sense now that I have had a few cups of coffee now. :)

Coconut oil - 4 oz

After reading everyone's threads on this, I have decided to make a small "test" batch of body butter. I am going to go ahead and order some mango butter, jojoba butter, arrowroot, ROE and Vit E. Not sure what size or how many little jars to purchase.
I am going to try the 1/3 hard, 1/3 CCO and 1/3 soft oils/butter recipe.
I guess when my order comes in I can bug everyone on how much ROE and Vit E and arrowroot to use.

Getting kind of excited to use a body butter and not go buy any from the store. :p

Back