Body Butter 'properties' ?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotsoap

Reaction score
Are body butters, by virtue of their ingredients (Cocoa/Shea butter etc and oils) meant to be kinda oily when they melt on your skin ? Is there a way to make them less 'oily' yet keep the creaminess ?

Sorry for the noobness :)

there are several variations on it and everyone has their own ideas of what it should be like,

some have about 50% oils and are emulsified up to 100% oils,

It's all a personal preference

things like corn starch, or tapioca pure will help cut down on the greasiness and add abit of silkiness to the butters.

i also add small amounts of ipm , dimethicone and or cyclomethicone if you don't mind using them.

barb

I added some cornstarch to one of my recipes and it was a tad bit less greasy. I like the feel especially when I give myself a pedicure. In the morning my feet are like butter! LOL

Barb said:
things like corn starch, or tapioca pure will help cut down on the greasiness and add abit of silkiness to the butters.

i also add small amounts of ipm , dimethicone and or cyclomethicone if you don't mind using them.

barb

Hi Barb -

I am just wondering what useage rate you reccomend for the tapioca starch - and I am assuming I can use natrasorb for this as its tapoica based?

Thanks for the info

i make an emulsified body butter and have never used the corn starch, tapicoa pure, or natraorb but know you can as i have gotten them in swaps.

there are several formulas listed on the snowdrift farms website, for some ideas.

their formulas call from 1/2 oz to 1 1/2 oz, so it is one of those personnel preference things.

i think too the butters and oils you use can make a big difference in the feel of the end product. even though i luv shea it has to be one of the greasiest butters.
barb

very interesting subject. I was wondering if you could use say 50% aloe gel.. and then would you have to use an emusifier to get it to mix?
I made some healing relief for my cat, cocoa, shea butter with Vit E. I added alitle Palm kernel so it has a higher melting point. I was thinking of making some for my wife and mabie whipping it but using say 50% aloe gel. any thoughts?

Neil, I just made a shealoe butter a few weeks ago and it has stayed together just fine! I used 70% shea to 305 alor vera gel, heated it on low until just melted, then placed in my kitchenaid stand mixer's stainless bowl and mixed until set. I sent some scented with Pearberry FO to Tab in her swap box as she wanted to feel it. Perhaps she can chime in her opinion of my blend. I love it!

Paul

Back