Body butter help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obsidian

Reaction score
I want to make a simple body butter with just cocoa butter and a liquid oil. Any tips on the % of liquid oil to make a softer product that is easy to dip out of a tub?

My spreadable tallow balm is 2 parts tallow to one part liquid oil. Since cocoa butter is harder than tallow, you'd probably want a lower ratio of cocoa butter. Maybe 1.5:1?
I wasn't expecting to need that much liquid oil, that would explain why my body butter never turns out lol. How spreadable is your tallow balm? like room temp margarine or refrigerated margarine?

Haha well, it does depend on whether I'm using leaf fat (much harder), or the more general trim fat (much softer). Plus how good of a job I've done at rendering out all the water used to clean it.

I like my balm to be very spreadable, so it's definitely more like room temp margarine or butter. Not quite a lotion but definitely way softer than your typical body butter.

My daughter prefers it whipped. I have to use way less oil to get it to hold the whipped texture. Without my notes, my best guess-olection for the whipped version is 3 parts tallow to one part liquid oil.

EDIT: it's easier IMO to add more liquid oil than more cocoa butter, so I'd start with less oil rather than more, adding liquid in small amounts till you get the texture you are after.

Last edited:
@Obsidian here is the texture of a batch I made today just for you, lol.
52g tallow
27g jojoba
1g FO
Numbers aren’t quite even bc I wasn’t trying very hard to be exact.

@Obsidian here is the texture of a batch I made today just for you, lol.
52g tallow
27g jojoba
1g FO
Numbers aren’t quite even bc I wasn’t trying very hard to be exact.

View attachment 69120

Thank you, that does look nice. I tried a cream with lard once, really liked it but for some reason it made me itch. I haven't decided what kind of oil to use with my cocoa butter yet, probably a sunflower/avocado blend since its what I have on hand.

I agree with Carolyn, the cocoa butter with either of those oils does sound really nice. I don't have sunflower but do have grapeseed, and was thinking that the lightness of that might offset the heaviness of both the cocoa butter or the tallow, depending on which I use. I do have a new batch of cocoa butter and may need to experiment myself :)

Last edited:
Back