Body Butter help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

May

Reaction score
I made a body butter yesterday and it whipped up nicely, but when I put it in the jar it is too firm. It still feels nice on my skin, but I wanted it to be a little airy or lighter. Here's my recipe:

.795 oz. tallow
.25 oz. cocoa butter
.965 oz. shea butter
.665 oz. calendula infused olive oil
1/2 tsp. vitamin E
Essential oils

After I melted the butters, I added the oil. Then, I placed it in the refrigerator to get a little firm. Then I whipped it with beaters and placed it in the jar.

Does anyone see anything I could change in ingredients or the process to make the butter less stiff and firm?

Also, does anyone have a website recommendation that uses weight for their ingredients?
Thanks!

Less butters, more liquid oils. I would just reheat that mixture, add about 0.3 oz liquid oil, and then cool and beat again. If that is still too stiff, repeat with 0.1-0.15 oz liquid oils at the time. Be sure to write down the modified recipe so you will know the "right" recipe for the consistency you prefer. Takes a bit of trial and error, but once you have the ratios correct, it saves time on subsequent batches. Like so: x amount butters to y amount of solid oil(tallow) to z amount liquid oils. Then you can re-size your recipes with ease.

Yep, ditto what Susie said- just add more oils (and keep track!).

I divided up your amounts of hard and soft oils, it looks like your recipe 'as-is' has a ratio of 75.14% hard fats to 24.86% soft oils.

I like my own butter on the hard/firm side and my hard to soft ratio is 70% hard to 30% soft, so yours is harder than mine! Maybe you might prefer a 60% hard to 40% soft better.

IrishLass :)

Thank you all for the help. I will reheat it, gradually add more oil, and see how it goes.
Thanks so much!

Back