Body butter consistency

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I reaaaaally want to try glycerin in mine. It's my favorite humectant. I thought I was going to have to use an emulsifying wax as well, but the description on the suppliers sight said that its soluble in both oil and water. I may add the wax just to be on the safe side though.
I would guess you will have to preserve it. Glycerin is used as a water replacement. Where did you purchase your glycerin I have not seen it listed as soluble in oil

I would guess you will have to preserve it. Glycerin is used as a water replacement. Where did you purchase your glycerin I have not seen it listed as soluble in oil

The glycerin description was at CandoraSoaps. I found it strange because it's the only place I've ever seen glycerin being touted as oil soluble. But anyway, in the end I ended up grabbing it from NewDirections instead along with some liquid Germall Plus and a few other things I needed, and just snagged E-Wax NF from CandoraSoaps (along with a soap cutter).

FWIW I just made an anyhdrous body butter after reading a lot of info about reducing greasiness and butter/oil ratios. This was my recipe:

56% (8 oz) unrefined shea butter
17% (2.4 oz) unrefined cocoa butter
10% (1.5 oz) golden jojoba
10% (1.5 oz) apricot kernel oil
7% (1 oz) avocado oil
3% blend of labdanum resin, cedarwood EO, Rose Geranium FO and Midnight Jasmine FO

Heat, retain at 100 degrees for ~15 mins, chill in freezer until beginning to solidify. Add FO blend. Blend in stand mixer until cloudy liquid. Chill again. Whip with hand mixer.

Compared to the last batch I made, which was 25% coconut oil/25% cocoa butter/25% shea butter, this batch is thicker (the consistency of softened butter) and does not melt instantly on contact with a fingertip. Instead it keeps its whipped texture until you physically rub it in. I also find the soft oils I used this time a little more pleasant than coconut.

I've made many different kinds of body Butter, I have jars all over the place. It seems when I added mango I liked it better. I have put glycerin in my butter and I like how it works. I can't even remember where I got the idea.

I use beef tallow, shea butter & only 20% jojoba. I whip it slightly with a hand mixer, but not to get it light and whipped. It turns out to be a really creamy buttery but still on the firm side. I think it holds up well, even when melted and re solidifying

Heeeeey everyone!

I'm brand new to the forum but not to homemade body products, I've mixed for years. (Oh, I'm new to soap though, I start soaping next week!).

Anyway, I'm working on new recipes, really honing them for the market instead of just myself. I've made lots of whipped body butter before but I've never used cocoa or Shea butter. My blends were always coconut oil with a few other carrier oils like Grapeseed and avocado. Perfect for locking in moisture right after a shower. I have SUPER dry skin so this was perfect for me.

Anyway my question is about the consistency of your whipped body butters when you use cocoa and shea. With only coconut oil I find it melts to nothing on contact. No way it would hold up in transit. But with the cocoa and Shea it is like margarine you get in a tub. I can actually scoop it out and it holds its shape, but melts with ease. It firmed up to this consistency after being allowed to sit and settle at room temp for the night. Oh, I also added just a hint of beeswax in hopes of adding some firmness and raising the melting temp.

I'm just wondering if this is pretty much the consistency you can expect when using cocoa and shea for whipped body butter or if I've actually nailed my ratios and chill/blend times. Yay! I'm curious because I've never seen this consistency mentioned before.

Thanks!

I am on my 3rd batch of WBB. I use Coconut oil, Avocado oil and Shea Butter. My consistency feels like a soft margarine. I love it and I use the Essential oils to scent them.

Back