Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s007rrt

Reaction score
Hello
I am in desperate need of assistance. I made a body butter blend that consisted of 1/4 cup of Mango butter
2tbsp of Flaxseed Oil, 2tbsp of Olive Oil
1tbsp of Manuka Honey, teaspoon of liquid vitamin k 1 teaspoon of Vitamin E oil and Essential oils lavender,lemon and helichrysum

Butter was heated ,then olive and flaxseed added in. With vitamin k and honey. The honey was crystallized due to my storage in the fridge. So it was a hard clump until blended in the end.
When this blend is applied as it is rubbed into the skin, it begins to accumulate dead skin, grit, tiny residue. I tried this before shower and after shower, same things happened. As it is rubbed into the skin, an accumulation of "something" occurs. It easily wiped away with water but which ingredient is causing this? Please help

Hello
I am in desperate need of assistance. I made a body butter blend that consisted of 1/4 cup of Mango butter
2tbsp of Flaxseed Oil, 2tbsp of Olive Oil
1tbsp of Manuka Honey, teaspoon of liquid vitamin k 1 teaspoon of Vitamin E oil and Essential oils lavender,lemon and helichrysum

Butter was heated ,then olive and flaxseed added in. With vitamin k and honey. The honey was crystallized due to my storage in the fridge. So it was a hard clump until blended in the end.
When this blend is applied as it is rubbed into the skin, it begins to accumulate dead skin, grit, tiny residue. I tried this before shower and after shower, same things happened. As it is rubbed into the skin, an accumulation of "something" occurs. It easily wiped away with water but which ingredient is causing this? Please help

I've had that issue at times as well and it seems it's the thicker type creams that cause the problem. Although I've never really figured out the cause, it seems as if the product isn't soaking into the skin quickly enough and the little bits are actually semi-dried pieces of the cream.

It could be either of these 2 things or both causing grittiness:

1) the mango butter is crystallizing (certain butters tend to do that if not heat tempered to a certain temp and then cooled down quick enough).

and/or

2) the honey is recrystallizing

Also, as Megan said in her post, you have both oil soluble and water soluble ingredients in your formula, but no emulsifier to keep the two blended (honey is your water soluble ingredient, and the rest are oil soluble), which will lead to an unstable formula.

IrishLass :)

Mango butter has been pretty stable (crystal-free) for me so far, so I would vote for the honey. And, as everyone said, you probably need an emulsifier...

Latest posts

Back