Bob Ross and paint thinner

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Before moving to CA I used to take Bob Ross oil painting classes. My young found my supplies, watched videos, and has designated this weekend as Bob Ross painting time.

Went shopping for odorless paint thinner but found "new, eco" thinners. I have no idea if those are safe for natural hair brushes. Any artists know what is safe for natural bristles?

Oh, how cool! I've painted a couple of Bob Ross (and William Alexander) paintings myself.

I don't have a personal testimony to share in regards to a safe thinner to use for natural brushes, but the artists on this blog say that good old fashioned soap actually works great (scroll through the comments section to see all the replies in regard to soap: http://www.williamsburgoils.com/blog/?p=103

IrishLass :)

Was doing some more research and read a lot of testimonies about a non-toxic product called Masters Brush Cleaner and other products just like it that many artists sing the praises of for cleaning and saving their brushes from doom. Masters doesn't list their ingredients, but other companies do, and guess what? It's just plain old lye soap.....the same kind of soap we make:

https://www.naturalpigments.com/paintbrush-pal-soap.html

Here's a thread I found here on the forum, too:

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/paint-brush-cleaning-soap.47989/

and a YouTube video:

Who knew?!

Last edited by a moderator:
Milk paint? I wonder if that's like what the Shakers used? Last time I toured Canterbury Shaker Village they said no one had been able to replicate the milk paint they used; and it was wonderful stuff!

I've tried the soap and water method before and it splayed out the bristles so the brushes didn't perform well.

What kind of soap did you use? From what I was reading, artist folks seem to be picky about avoiding certain kinds.

I'll have to find it but a couple years ago 2 of my Emergency Medicine residents showed up to a Halloween party dressed as Bob Ross, it was so funny neither one knew the other was going to do it.

What kind of soap did you use? From what I was reading, artist folks seem to be picky about avoiding certain kinds.

Trying to think back. It was before my soap making days so it wasn't handmade. I'm allergic to Dawn detergent. It would have seemed weird to me to use bar soap, so I wonder if I used another dish detergent. I really don't know.

I'll have to find it but a couple years ago 2 of my Emergency Medicine residents showed up to a Halloween party dressed as Bob Ross, it was so funny neither one knew the other was going to do it.

LOL! Awesome!

Both my son and my nephew (both in their early 20's now) love Bob Ross. They both have a Bob Ross t-shirts and socks, and my nephew dressed up as Bob Ross for Halloween this year, curly wig and everything. lol They still haven't painted anything yet, but they love watching the reruns on PBS. My niece (also in her 20's) loves him, too, and we all keep talking about getting together in my garage for a Bob Ross painting session, but we just haven't done so yet. Some years back, I gifted the mother of the same niece and nephew with one of my Bob Ross style paintings that happens to have been the best one I ever did (a snowy/icy winter cabin scene). She put a super nice frame on it, which makes it really pop and look even better that I ever thought it could. Once I saw it in the frame, I confess a little part of me almost wished I had kept it, but I'll just have to get that paint session scheduled and do up another one is all. :)

Trying to think back. It was before my soap making days so it wasn't handmade. I'm allergic to Dawn detergent. It would have seemed weird to me to use bar soap, so I wonder if I used another dish detergent. I really don't know.

It seems like real lye soap (i.e., not detergent) is what most of the artist bloggers are praising as being nice to their brushes.

For some reason there's been a resurgence of Bob Ross interest of late; wish I knew what started it. Perhaps the political climate has people looking for things peaceful and calming. But there's new merchandise, Bob Ross Art of Chill game (with great reviews), a return of his reruns, and yes - Halloween costumes!

I blame NetFlix. They put Bob Ross series on NetFlix. My teenage son turns it on for his "NetFlix and Chill" sessions. He enjoys it so much that Bob Ross is his computer wallpaper, and I bought him Bob Ross socks for his birthday (he loved them).

I just visited the official Bob Ross website (I believe his son runs it if I'm not mistaken) and found out that there are 21 certified Bob Ross teachers in my state that give classes, 2 of them are right here in my city and 10 more are nearby in the general vicinity. Hmmm....something I'll have to look into!

IMG_0259.JPG

Here it is.

I just visited the official Bob Ross website (I believe his son runs it if I'm not mistaken) and found out that there are 21 certified Bob Ross teachers in my state that give classes, 2 of them are right here in my city and 10 more are nearby in the general vicinity. Hmmm....something I'll have to look into!

Have you had time to look into it?

We're going to a class this Saturday - 90 minutes away. But after the young one watched a few Bob Ross videos and promptly composed and painted this entirely on her own, I decided its well worth it so she can learn correctly the first time. (it's also worth it because I started my own painting and never got past my stupid clouds while she finished and signed her picture in one hour!)

20190216_173319.jpg

Attachments

• 20190216_173319.jpg
    20190216_173319.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I blame NetFlix. They put Bob Ross series on NetFlix. My teenage son turns it on for his "NetFlix and Chill" sessions. He enjoys it so much that Bob Ross is his computer wallpaper, and I bought him Bob Ross socks for his birthday (he loved them).

I had no idea Bob Ross was available on Netflix! I am going to go look for it right now.

Have you had time to look into it?

View attachment 36553

There's one place pretty close, but I'm going to wait a bit. They have a set calendar where each scheduled class is focused on a particular landscape, and so far the paintings they have on the schedule are not my cup of tea (I'm so picky, lol ). I wish I would have known about them in December because the painting they did that month was one I would have loved to do (a seascape). I'm going to keep watching until they schedule one that I'd love to do.

20190326_170009.jpg Had our class finally, and we had an awesome time. Young one was the only kid in the class, and since she's had various art lessons before she was enjoyed by all the others (class was mostly older people)

We both did really well; finally understand the pine tree technique....key is to not change the angle of the brush, just move your hand! I've ruined many trees in the past!

If any of you can find a class close to you, I encourage you to try it! You can paint! Ol' Bob wouldn't lie to ya!

Here's pics, Youngster's first....has the yellow bushes.

Attachments

• 20190326_165803.jpg
    20190326_165803.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 12

Latest posts

Back