Blueberries and Cream

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwahlne

Reaction score
At the request of my supervisor (at my day job!) I made a blueberries and cream scented soap. When I first took it out of the mold, I smelled the wonderful blueberry/cream scent, but also another after-scent that was not good. Almost like hair dye.... I was worried. But the next day (today), I smelled and it's wonderful.... Thank goodness. Any idea why that is?

I love them! I will post pictures of how they turned out as soon as I can take them (hopefully today). My newly licensed 16-year-old daughter ran off with the car AND the camera yesterday! I'll also get to try out my new homemade lightbox... :)

Sorry about DD and your wheels. :( I'm guessing she'll be grounded until she becomes an adult? :)

I'm beginning to realize that somebody must like all those foody smells. I'll have to consider buying some myself.

I've got to make a light box too. My soap pictures are so bad even I don't like them myself. I understand the basic design (did you use sprinkler pipe and joints? cardboard box?) but what did you use for the white stuff? Paper? Fabric? Only laziness and preoccupation has kept me from making one.

I'd love to see your pictures. I think pictures add sooooo much to the enjoyment of reading posts! :)

You are right! I love to look at other's pictures as well! And I DO like foody smells...! But I do have Lily of the Valley ready to unmold when I get home from work. I'm trying to branch out... :) :) :)

Nah, daughter is not in trouble. We had prior arrangements for her having the car. And the camera actually is hers.... SOMEBODY lost my cable to MY camera so I've been using hers. Needless to say, I was on Amazon this morning looking for a new compaitble USB cable.

Lightbox: You will laugh if you see it. It's a little too small actually. I used just a cardboard box. The funny part is that for the white stuff, I slid a men's tank t-shirt around the box. :D I could actually use the shoulder straps as handles if I wanted to transport somewhere! :D :D

I used posterboard for the back and floor inside. It's really a trip. I don't know how it will work yet. And I do think it's too small, but it's a start. It was fun to make as I was belting out my favorite 80's tunes on my iPod! :D

kwahlne said:
But I do have Lily of the Valley ready to unmold when I get home from work.

SOMEBODY lost my cable to MY camera

I was belting out my favorite 80's tunes on my iPod! :D
My day nearly exactly! :D

I don't have a light box... hence why I use black. ;) But I did build an over head lighting system! :)

kwahlne said:
SOMEBODY lost my cable to MY camera so I've been using hers. Needless to say, I was on Amazon this morning looking for a new compaitble USB cable.
Speaking as a computer geek I'd recommend you forget your camera cable and instead just use a card/stick reader, very cheap if you haven't got one already. You just remove the memory stick or CF card or whatever your camera uses and put it in the reader, then copy it onto your hard drive. It's so easy and your camera's application program doesn't need to be installed. These programs usually help bloat out your computer.

And let me also take this opportunity to remind everybody to not just store your images on your hard drive and think they're safe. You should periodically burn them to CD or DVD, or copy them to a portable hard drive so that you have a backup copy if your computer crash.

/geek off :)

My day nearly exactly!

That's pretty funny! I always blast the iPod when I soap. It's such a great time!

Speaking as a computer geek I'd recommend you forget your camera cable and instead just use a card/stick reader, very cheap if you haven't got one already.

Oooo, excellent idea! Thanks Greg, I'll look into that.

In the meantime, I snagged my daughter's camera (yes, I made her return home after she took the car AGAIN! She's job-hunting so...).

Blueberries and Cream
005-0002b.jpg

My Lily of the Valley is not nearly so beautiful as Lane's, so I won't be posting that one. The pink is definitely not pink. Kind of a dingy mauve. But it does smell good!

Thanks guys!!! I'm trying to think of new designs as well, although I still need to practice the beautiful swirl technique.

I was really happy with this batch!

The subtlety of your slightly swirled white layer is just perfect with the solid blue lower layer. If you had swirled it more it wouldn't have been as good. Whether by contrivance or accident you made great looking soap!

I just *LOVE* that blue! That design is would be great for a "guy" bathroom or at least it would look good in mine! :)

Your soap is beautiful, I love the contrast!

kwahlne said:
Thank you, Thank you! :D

Hey Deda, you live really close to me!

OMG, you are just down the street!

I don't think I know a single soaper! Nobody! If you ever want to get together and play soap, you just let me know!

If you are ever in Manassas I am smack in the middle of town, the only house with a tennis court, you cannot miss it! Stop in!

Definitely have to get together, that would be awesome! I don't know any other soapers either. Of course, I've only been soaping for a little over a month so that's not really surprising.

Yay! I'm psyched! :D

kwahlne said:
Of course, I've only been soaping for a little over a month so that's not really surprising.

You've only been soaping for a month, & you made gorgeous soap like that!!!! Wow!!!! I'm impressed!!!!

I love how the blue swirls have that light gray outline.... really gorgeous!!

Can I ask what you used to get that blue layer that gorgeous shade of blue?! I've not seen anything like that before!!

Thanks Lucy!

SoapyGal said:
You've only been soaping for a month, & you made gorgeous soap like that!!!! Wow!!!! I'm impressed!!!!

Thanks, Soapy! I'm enjoying every minute of it! Literally can't get enough, especially when I've only found time for it on the weekends.

Don't ask how the little gray outline got there, because I have no clue! Still experimenting and a lot of things happen by accident! :D

I got the blue powder pigment from WSP. See here:

Ultramarine Blue Powder Pigment

Back