Blue Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kamahido

Paladin of Soap
Reaction score
I was making some Blueberry Scented soap a while ago. Will upload a picture when my camera's batteries are recharged. Anyways... I added the blue mica and instantly had a face palm moment. My soap recipe is 40% Olive Oil. It's yellow. Yellow and blue make green. Silly me. Can I assume I should have added Titanium Dioxide first to make it white?

Probably wouldn't hurt. It may still have a greenish tint tho. It's hard to get a bright blue without using a ton of colorant to counteract the yellow oils. You could try it again with a whiter batter as well.

I was making some Blueberry Scented soap a while ago. Will upload a picture when my camera's batteries are recharged. Anyways... I added the blue mica and instantly had a face palm moment. My soap recipe is 40% Olive Oil. It's yellow. Yellow and blue make green. Silly me. Can I assume I should have added Titanium Dioxide first to make it white?

I did this the other day with EVOO and it went green when I poured it then morphed back to blue after it had come out of the mold. My EVOO soap starts yellowish then goes white over a few months so the blues come out stronger over time regardless.

:D . I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing with you because I have done the exact same thing. I just added some more blue mica without over saturating the batter and just committed to a sort of greenish blue color. After the cure, the color looked better than when it first came out of the mold. I guess it must be the way the olive oils and other dark yellow oils change when they saponify and then cure out. After that incident I adjusted my formula to better suit my color scheme or added a bit of t.d to the whole batch. I'm sure they'll be lovely anyhow.

You might be surprised to find that much of the yellow tint will fade during cure. I made a salt bar with extra virgin olive oil and coconut oil. The bar started out a light, sea foam green and then went to a nice, baby blue. The top and edges of the soap were still a green tinge but the cut face of the soap lost the yellow tint. I've also seen it happen with other recipes but it was especially noticeable in the salt bar.

Wish I had a before and after picture but I don't.

Edit: it took about 4 weeks for the yellow to fade

Latest posts

Back