Blue Clay in Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was going through one of my supplier's list and they carry blue clay. I googled it and it really does exist, although I've never seen or heard of it before. I thought it would be interesting to try.

http://www.saffireblue.ca

I haven't check some of the other suppliers.

I have not used blue clay. Don't know what the properties are, but I do use Bentonite clay and LOVE it! I use it in my face soap and people go nutz over it. The clay gives it a creamy lather. Very nice. Good luck!

I just realised that you're probably talking about Blue Montmorillonite Clay and I am talking about Blue Washed Clay (Australian). I soaped with it last night and it didn't end up blue at all, which is disappointing. It is an olive green colour which doesn't go well with the purple colouring that I was using, so I ended up pouring the green into the mould first, followed by non-coloured soap and then the purple.

Hope this question isn't a hijack, but when you use clay, especially betonite or kaolin, how much do you use for face soap? I have a recipe for face soap that I like really well, but I would like to add clay to it to see what the diff is. And can you update after using blue clay?

I'm still reasonably new to using clays myself but I used 1 tablespoon of this blue clay to about 500g (or 1 pound) of oils. I will certainly let you know what I think of it's qualities.

I haven't used Bentonite Clay beads as yet. If I was using the Kaolin in a face soap, I would probably try 2 teaspoons to a pound of oils for starters to see how that works. :wink:

Let us know what you think of it please BakingNana. :wink: I made some soap with the Pink French Clay again tonight and only used 2 teaspoons. I think that's a better amount than the tablespoon. The pink clay is lovely in soap.

I saw someone's photos (unfortunately can't remember who) of their pink clay soap. It was a lovely color. I've always wanted to do a rose scent with the pink clay.

Back