Blending multiple EOs - working out the maximum allowed

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahauer88

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm going to make an Earl Grey soap next, but I'm also ordering some ingredients for a cedarwood and orange soap!

So, I'm a newbie (...and bad at math) so please forgive the question haha. I am trying to work out how much of each EO (10x orange and cedarwood) I can add to the soap to keep it within safe levels.

On Brambleberry's fragrance calculator - in my 34oz batch, I ran the max amounts separately. The maximum is 2.04 oz of 10x orange and 1.7oz of cedarwood. I think I'll use a 2 to 1 orange to cedarwood ratio. So here is where I'm confused. Would I then add 1 oz of cedarwood and 2 oz of 10x orange to the recipe? Or would the ratio have to be a bit lower so the total amounts of EOs in the recipe don't exceed ~2 oz? I of course don't want to overdo it, but I want to add as much as I can.

Sorry, I know this is novice and I swear I read the information somewhere at one point, but it appears my Googling skills aren't as great as they used to be! Thanks a lot.

Problem is 3 ounces of fragrance is 9% of your total oil weight. That's a lot of essential oil for the soap to contain. Not to mention that much fragrance could be a potential skin irritant, even if theoretically safe.

Most people don't go over 6% fragrance weight per weight of oils, assuming 6% is a skin-safe rate for the scent(s) being added. At 6% of 32 oz, that's about 2 ounces total fragrance. At a 2 to 1 orange:cedarwood, that's approximately 0.66 oz cedar and 1.33 oz orange.

Latest posts

Back