Blending fragrance oils (FO)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElleJay

Reaction score
Is there an advantage to blending FOs to order instead of mixing a large blend ahead of time? I have a complicated FO blend that I mix together right before making a batch of candles. I’d love to mix all of the oils ahead of time in one big batch and then have the blend ready to go so that I don’t have to calculate percentage weight of each FO every time I make candles.

It seems like everyone mixes FOs to order. I am worried that this is for a reason and if I mix ahead of time and store that the scent will change over time.

It depends on how often you make the product. If you're making this scent once a month or more, I would absolutely mix up enough to cover the next 6 months. It's not going to go bad. The only risk is if the market suddenly changes and it doesn't sell well like it used to.

It depends on how often you make the product. If you're making this scent once a month or more, I would absolutely mix up enough to cover the next 6 months. It's not going to go bad. The only risk is if the market suddenly changes and it doesn't sell well like it used to.
Thanks for the response. I know some FOs are stronger than others so I wasn’t sure if one would overpower another if they sat together blended for awhile. It would certainly save me a lot of time to mix ahead of time!

It's better to blend them ahead of time anyway, that way you get the true nature of the scents to come through and know what they should smell like.
I ALWAYS blend. But to know what my blend will eventually smell like I blend a little batch in the same ratios as if it were going to be a big batch, let sit at least overnight to a couple days. If one is overpowering, then I reduce the amount of that scent in the ratio and keep trying until I get it exactly the way I want it.

Latest posts

Back