Blending FO/EO together

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackDog

Reaction score
I've done blends of all EO and all FO, but not blended one of each together before. I'm planning my first attempt but want to check on operating procedure first.

Normally when doing blends, I check the maximum usage rate of each oil, choose the one with the lowest amount, and then keep the entire weight of the blend at or below that amount.

Just checking to see if it's the same if I do an FO/EO blend. Like, hypothetically, if I were doing an Orange 10x EO with Champagne FO, and the batch size called for, say, 2 oz of EO or 2.8 oz of FO, I would go with the lower usage rate and keep the entire weight of the blend at or under 2 oz.

FWIW, I have not done the actual math on this yet, but just plugged in random numbers.

PLEASE, NO MATH!!! I can't handle all the numbers. :cry:

Seriously, I only blending an EO with and FO for a rebatched bar of soap. I love it more than I did with just the FO. It was a chocolate mint FO and it was not very... minty for my taste. So, I added a few grams of Peppermint EO and voila! I love it more. If I had a creamy vanilla scent to add, this would have been the crack soap I'd be sad to use up.

I've done blends of all EO and all FO, but not blended one of each together before. I'm planning my first attempt but want to check on operating procedure first.

Normally when doing blends, I check the maximum usage rate of each oil, choose the one with the lowest amount, and then keep the entire weight of the blend at or below that amount.

Just checking to see if it's the same if I do an FO/EO blend. Like, hypothetically, if I were doing an Orange 10x EO with Champagne FO, and the batch size called for, say, 2 oz of EO or 2.8 oz of FO, I would go with the lower usage rate and keep the entire weight of the blend at or under 2 oz.

FWIW, I have not done the actual math on this yet, but just plugged in random numbers.

You better not be stealing my Mimosa soap for the swap... Lol!

Seriously though, I have blended fo and eo before and I use the method of calculating the usage rate for each then dividing that by the percentage I use in the soap. Like my vanilla is rated at 7.5% in soap, cinnamon like 0.05%. So I might use 3.75% of vanilla and 0.025 of the cinnamon as they each make up 50% of the blend. That being said, I've found sometimes that is pretty weak so I might up my vanilla to 5-6% and stick with the lower cinnamon still because I know it's more likely an irritant.

You better not be stealing my Mimosa soap for the swap... Lol!

pahaha! Guess I'm not the first one to come up with this brilliant idea. I bought that Champagne because people said they love to use it in blends, and looking through my box of FO/EO, I thought, "what goes well with champagne?" Uh, orange juice!

pahaha! Guess I'm not the first one to come up with this brilliant idea. I bought that Champagne because people said they love to use it in blends, and looking through my box of FO/EO, I thought, "what goes well with champagne?" Uh, orange juice!

Yes! I love it with orange, lime, pear... They all work.

Back