Blended pomace?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mamansavon

Reaction score
I'm not sure if the pomace we get here is anything similar to what I see referred to as pomace. The pomace here states it's 51% olive oil and 48% sunflower oil
Is it possible/desirable to use this pomace as olive oil in soapmaking?
I'm guessing I'd need to recalculate the recipes?
Thanks

Hrm, that's a bummer. Does the label (nutritional information) say something about poly-unsaturated fatty acids? If yes, and the value is below 15%, then you're fine (high-oleic sunflower, very similar to olive). If PUFA is above 30%, it's regular (high-linoleic) sunflower oil. That means that a soap that's mostly made of it won't harden up properly, and has an increased risk of rancidity/DOS.
Another indication is when the oil is advertised for cooking/frying/deep frying.
When in doubt, expect it to be HL. It's not worthless, you still can blend it 1:1 with pure OO to get PUFA down to soap-useful regions again.

And yes, you need to run the recipe again through a soap calculator, with the OO split accordingly into olive and sunflower oil, since the SAP values differ.

Hrm, that's a bummer. Does the label (nutritional information) say something about poly-unsaturated fatty acids? If yes, and the value is below 15%, then you're fine (high-oleic sunflower, very similar to olive). If PUFA is above 30%, it's regular (high-linoleic) sunflower oil. That means that a soap that's mostly made of it won't harden up properly, and has an increased risk of rancidity/DOS.
Another indication is when the oil is advertised for cooking/frying/deep frying.
When in doubt, expect it to be HL. It's not worthless, you still can blend it 1:1 with pure OO to get PUFA down to soap-useful regions again.

And yes, you need to run the recipe again through a soap calculator, with the OO split accordingly into olive and sunflower oil, since the SAP values differ.
Thank you for such a detailed reply. I'll look at the label tomorrow (midnight right now and I should be sleeping)

Speaking just from experience, even HO Sunflower doesn't perform like olive oil. I happened to have some HO sunflower infused with comfrey that I needed to use up. I added it to ZNSC and got slime! :eek: ACK! I'm sorry I don't remember the % but I'm thinking it was around 12% ??? That being said, I like sunflower oil but mostly for leave on products like lotion and lip balm, and use it often to make herbal infusions like CARROT TISSUE OIL. Just something to keep in mind. ;)

FWIW, here's a little lye-calc hack I use to compare one oil to another.
First, enter pomace olive oil 100%. Tick "Calculate". Results show up on the right side of the fatty acid menu.
Then go down the list of oils and choose one oil to compare it to, in this case, sunflower oil, then HO sunflower oil. Those numbers show up on the left side of the fatty acid menu.
Sunflower.png

HO Sunflower.png

Gosh, that's a massive difference! I'm not going to waste my time using it in soap

I use sunflower oil in soap, not high oleic either. I prefer it to OO. I do have a lot of hard oils and use lard and don't find it's particularly soft. I have had issues with DOS but that's because I was using tap water. I live in London and our tap water is ... dire. I haven't had issues with DOS when using ionised water and SF oil, but also, they've not been hanging around for terribly long so maybe I will.

SF can have a place in CP - like most oils it really is up to your individual preference.

(If you're wondering why I use regular SF oil it's because that's what's easily available and I haven't found an easy and reasonably priced supplier of high oleic SF oil locally. If you're wondering why I used tap, it's because I couldn't find distilled and then the soap turned out fine so didn't see the need. Then I got DOS and then I went on a hunt for distilled).

Gosh, that's a massive difference! I'm not going to waste my time using it in soap
Oh, I think it will be fine in soap, as long as you understand it won't be the same as soaping with pomace OO.

I just wouldn't make high % OO soaps like castile & bastile though. As part of a balanced formula, like TRINITY OF OILS, and you calculate 50/50 OO / SF for the OO amount in the recipe, it should do fine. At least, try it and see what you think.

Back