Blend to cover Stinky EO

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kosmerta

Reaction score
I'm going to start by admitting I made two big mistakes to get myself into this mess.

I looooove the smell of spearmint, and since I already had all my soap supplies out from making my book challenge soap, I decided to squeeze in a quick spearmint soap. I made my lye, and melted my hard oils. With my pitcher of oils on the scale I added my EO and realized I didnt have nearly the amounted I needed. That was mistake 1.

So I ran across the street to the grocery store and saw a brand I've never tried before was on sale and bought that instead of my usual brand. I ran back home, and started adding this new EO. That was mistake 2. I should have smelled it first. This brand of EO smells like no spearmint essential oil I have ever smelled before. It smells like old chocolate peppermint candy, but not the good kind- the kind that gets left at the bottom of the hard candy bowl unwanted. It is so bad I decided to start the whole batch over. I already ruined my oils by pouring the EO right in, and I've poured them into a spare jug in hopes they dont have to go to waste.

Can somebody please recommend to me an EO blend that will work with the spearmint already in the oils and cover the sickly-sweet chloroform like smell of the bad EO?

For more info the good spearmint EO brand was Healing Solutions with .25oz added.
The bad EO brand was Aura Cacia with .28 oz added.

Would a vanilla help? It may not be a soap for you but something candy-like for the kids?

though there is also a chance the lye will morph the EO just enough to make an acceptable soap. You can always try it and put it aside for gifting

I'm probably boring 'cause all I can think of are these minty classics, but they are nice combined with spearmint!

▪Eucalyptus
▪Eucalyptus and Peppermint
▪Peppermint and Lavender
▪Rosemary and Peppermint

I don't know what chloroform smells like (except in my imagination, sourced from murder mysteries :eek:) Ratios not so important so long as peppermint is low (for sensitive areas).

@BattleGnome Spearmint and Vanilla sounds wonderful!

Last edited by a moderator:
Would a vanilla help? It may not be a soap for you but something candy-like for the kids?

though there is also a chance the lye will morph the EO just enough to make an acceptable soap. You can always try it and put it aside for gifting

I'm probably boring 'cause all I can think of are these minty classics, but they are nice combined with spearmint!

▪Eucalyptus
▪Eucalyptus and Peppermint
▪Peppermint and Lavender
▪Rosemary and Peppermint

I don't know what chloroform smells like (except in my imagination, sourced from murder mysteries :eek:) Ratios not so important so long as peppermint is low (for sensitive areas).

Ooo idea. Vanilla and Lavender Spearmint. What do you think?

Spearmint blends well with just about anything, it can help to bring different dimensions of other EOs. My favorite Frankincense and Spearmint. Experiment! Having that said, if the EO smells like the old chocolate, chances are it is diluted with an oil that went rancid. I wouldn't use it for soap. The brands you list are very reputable, I would try customer service to see if they can replace the EO if it doesn't smell right.

I'm with Geniash -- the icky stuff sounds to me like it's rancid too. "Eau de rancid" is a very hard smell to cover up.

And another thing -- If my experience with oxidized lavender EO applies true here -- not saying it does, but it's a possibility -- then the rancid EO could also trigger rancidity in your soap. You won't know that for some weeks to a few months.

You're only talking about 1/2 ounce of EOs that smell bad, right? IMO, the old saying applies here -- don't throw good money after bad in the hopes you'll end up with a good result.

"Eau de rancid" is a very hard smell to cover up.
Smack Laugh.gif

I like Balsam Peru with mints.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back