Bleeding charcoal soap? Made with CPHP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soapsugoii

Reaction score
Hi guys. So, I made an awesome batch of 100% CO activated charcoal soap last night. I added the superfat oil mixed with the charcoal right before I glopped the soap into the mold. It looks great in the bath but when I put it in the soap dish it bleeds. Is it because I've made it HP style? I've read people saying their charcoal soaps don't bleed, but I added about 1 TBSP PPO, like was suggested in a lot of the recipes I saw.

Also, does anyone else who makes coconut soap find it a bit tedious to cut? It crumbles at the edges if I go too quickly, but it's such a wonderful bar in the shower.

I just read today on a very highly respected site to use 1 Tblsp PPO - but do what was suggested here: 1 tsp PPO.
That's what I just did and there is no bleeding, I have lots of black spots in my soap (I poured at a light trace so I got more grey than black) and the lather is white.

Just try again!
And sorry - I've never made an all coconut soap.

Did you pour into the mold at a light trace, or did you pour the charcoal into the soap at light trace? I've been pouring charcoal into soap after its gelled completely, or near enough, then gloppity glop into the mold.

This is actually my second batch and I did use 1 tsp the first time, but it came out gray. That bled a wee bit also, but I was really going for a black color and read that I should up the charcoal amount when I researched it.

Hm, I'm wondering if adding after the cooking process has something to do with it.

You might try adding the charcoal earlier, like at light trace. If you wait until the soap has gelled, I don't see how the charcoal could be mixed properly into the soap. So I think what's happening is that it is that the charcoal is just washing out whenever the soap gets wet.

And FYI, "bleeding" usually refers to migration of color in the soap, not residue left in the soap dish... :wink:

Thanks guys. And very interesting point, Rob. I'll add at trace next time. Not like the charcoal will change the saponification process or anything. Or will it?

The soap is such a lovely color. If I could get it to a nice black without it bleeding it would be absolute heaven. I'll give it a shot soon :)

Oops! I shouldn't saying bleeding, in that case. If I could get it to a nice black color without the color melting into the soap dish, rather :)

i mix the charcoal in a little castor oil and let it thoroughly incorporate, then add that at light trace, either as a swirl or a whole-batch colorant.

Hmmm. I mixed the charcoal in directly at light trace, then finished the HP process and glopped in mold. Maybe it's leaving less of a residue this time (I think?) but it still leaves a bit. Maybe I should reduce the amount of charcoal like was suggested before.

Back to the drawing board :( I want a black soap tho, argh.

so you added the powder straight to the batch?

I always mix it well with oil or water first (depending on the colourant).

If you add the powder straight to it you might get spots, that will def run.

Does anybody do melt and pour layering? My charcoal turned gray ( desired colour was black). When I put the charcoal mix (charcoal and rubbing alcohol) and layering it, it bleeds. Could it be that the first layer was not firm enough. Are you supposed to wait until the first layer hardens?

Does anybody do melt and pour layering? My charcoal turned gray ( desired colour was black). When I put the charcoal mix (charcoal and rubbing alcohol) and layering it, it bleeds. Could it be that the first layer was not firm enough. Are you supposed to wait until the first layer hardens?

this post is from 2011 and in the lye soap forum. You will want to start a new thread in the MP forum please and thank you!!

Back