Bleaching palm oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zolveria

Reaction score
So an african friend of mine said i can cook the Palm Oil u over the stove or on my grill for 30 -40 min depending on how much oil. i have 1.5 cups 15 minute.

Has anyone tried this.
I trust them since they use this all the time.

I don't understand how that would bleach the oil? Thats just melting and cooking it.

Well She had cooked With orange palm dishes that come out clear. THe only thing she said if i cook it for a long time i woulld get a petro smell.

Dunno they use this all the time.

But i did a search and this is an image of what i found. So yes it does get lighter.

I will try today...
And hey Cant knock an Nigerian They practically live by Palm Oil ? so i doubt they would be fibbing. going to the African supermarket today and asking questions ...

I don't understand how that would bleach the oil? Thats just melting and cooking it.

bleached+palm+oil+for+ofada+stew+ayamase.jpg

Could it be that the orange peel absorbs the particles in it? I know a folks that use orange peel and orange oil as a detox paste on the bottoms of their feet to pull out impurities.

Okay, you're not talking about palm oil that we use most for soapmaking. Makes more sense. But why would you want to do the extra step. Another curiosity.

I've been super happy with theswirls I've been able to do using red and regular palm, and I want to try a gradient next. Why the red palm hate?
attachment.php

I'm not a huge fan of the golden color and I really dislike the colored lather. I don't actually use palm anymore but I'd like to use what I have since I overpayed for my oil in a health food store.

I'm not a huge fan of the golden color and I really dislike the colored lather. I don't actually use palm anymore but I'd like to use what I have since I overpayed for my oil in a health food store.

So you have food grade red palm? You can use it for food - it's nutritious. It's beta carotene that makes it yellow! I no longer buy palm for any reason, but used the red palm half and half with butter in baked goods.

Because it ORANGE. I dont want orange soap all the time. and i would have to use to much TD.. The african stores here sell tons of Palm oil :)

Okay, you're not talking about palm oil that we use most for soapmaking. Makes more sense. But why would you want to do the extra step. Another curiosity.

Because it ORANGE. I dont want orange soap all the time. and i would have to use to much TD.. The african stores here sell tons of Palm oil :)

Yes, I understand that it's orange. I've used it and didn't care for the color or bleeding. I guess I just didn't understand why someone wouldn't just purchase regular palm. Just too much work for me. Especially with the volume of soap I make. And I found it was more expensive. I was just curious.

I guess i just like to experiment. and have time to waste :(.. I always like to do some things the long way. lol. Most of my cooking takes time. :( .. I a chefs daughter)
I am ordering 21 pounds of Palm oil from soaper choice.
I also wanted to find out To explain to my class. :) That this can be made lighter if they where in a pinch. Like I am today :)

Yes, I understand that it's orange. I've used it and didn't care for the color or bleeding. I guess I just didn't understand why someone wouldn't just purchase regular palm. Just too much work for me. Especially with the volume of soap I make. And I found it was more expensive. I was just curious.

I once tried to bleach red palm oil by cooking it. But I gave up, since nothing happened. Maybe I did not cook it long enough, or the temperature was too low, or anything else. I did not add orange peel or anything.

But, the smell was totally horrible! Like you were cooking old motoroil or something like that. A strong and nasty smell. So I will never try that again, especially not indoors.

I see some ask why somebody would even try to bleach red palm oil instead of just buying the regular palm oil? For me, that was quite simple, because refined palm oil was not at all available in my country. I have now found two shops online selling it, but it is very expensive, 3 times the price in the UK. When I tried the bleaching process, I did not find anybody selling refined palm oil in my country. Red palm oil is available from immigrant shops locally, and not expensive. So that's why I tried to bleach it myself. Others for sure have their reasons, whatever it can be.

I have read that it should be possible to bleach palm oil by boiling. Africans probably know how to do it correctly. I'm sure I did something wrong.

Latest posts

Back