Blackberry juice in hot process

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Ugeauxgirl

Reaction score
I was bottling a batch of blackberry vodka yesterday and of course my hands ended up stained purple. I know most botanicals turn brown in cold process, but has anyone tried coloring soap with blackberries in hot process?

KimW

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I decided last fall that I'd try this out this fall after harvesting/foraging our blackberries. This, because last year I washed my berry bowls with some soaping dishes, including my lye solution container. I'd put some water in the lye container and had it in the sink. I noticed some berry juice that fell into the lye container turned the prettiest shade of blue. I sealed it and set it aside, and 30 minutes later it was still that same blue (I couldn't let it sit longer because by then it was dinner time!). I have no idea if it will really turn out blue in soap, but this year some blackberries will be sacrificed in the name of soap-science!

Ugeauxgirl

Reaction score
I was actually planning on boiling some down and using concentrated juice to color it after the cook, but I might try some in the lye water as well.

Arimara

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I decided last fall that I'd try this out this fall after harvesting/foraging our blackberries. This, because last year I washed my berry bowls with some soaping dishes, including my lye solution container. I'd put some water in the lye container and had it in the sink. I noticed some berry juice that fell into the lye container turned the prettiest shade of blue. I sealed it and set it aside, and 30 minutes later it was still that same blue (I couldn't let it sit longer because by then it was dinner time!). I have no idea if it will really turn out blue in soap, but this year some blackberries will be sacrificed in the name of soap-science!
Maybe the juice was reacting to trace amounts of a basic solution? That's how it seems.

KimW

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe the juice was reacting to trace amounts of a basic solution? That's how it seems.
Yes - that's exactly what I was wondering! Our berry harvest was so sparse last year that I didn't dare use any of that precious elixir in soap! lol