Black walnut soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welsh black

Reaction score
Got my black walnut hull powder today! It smells. Nutty!! Any suggestions for EO,s to go in it. Got most of the usual CP essentials oils. Once made I'll post picks, but I'm going for the natural look so no swirls!

Got my black walnut hull powder today! It smells. Nutty!! Any suggestions for EO,s to go in it. Got most of the usual CP essentials oils. Once made I'll post picks, but I'm going for the natural look so no swirls!

We make 2 bars with black walnut hull powder so far and I love it! The color does dissipate in the sun a bit over time. It creates a medium/mild exfoliate that I love and others have commented on it as well. I think musk and woody/earthy tones are a great match. The scent does not carry through very much from the walnut through saponification -- but I think the color compliments such essential oils.

Yes. I thought so too. Perhaps some patchouli with lemongrass for the top note. I also have some vetiverte but not sure what to put this with

We make 2 bars with black walnut hull powder so far and I love it! The color does dissipate in the sun a bit over time. It creates a medium/mild exfoliate that I love and others have commented on it as well. I think musk and woody/earthy tones are a great match. The scent does not carry through very much from the walnut through saponification -- but I think the color compliments such essential oils.

@ES, you think it might survive as an active ingredient when added after an HP cook at the end before pouring?

@ES, you think it might survive as an active ingredient when added after an HP cook at the end before pouring?

I have not played around with HP soaps yet, I couldn't say. The scent is fairly mild, so I don't think it will stand out strongly no matter what you do. The color and exfoliate works splendidly added at light trace and beyond for CP.

The first image is the hull added to the entire batch at trace. The second image has 1/4 or so of the batter mixed with hull at light trace then swirled in.

DSCN3419.jpg

DSCN3522.jpg

Last edited:
Yes. I thought so too. Perhaps some patchouli with lemongrass for the top note. I also have some vetiverte but not sure what to put this with

Patch, lemongrass and vetiver sounds like a fantastic combo! Go easy on the vetiver, though, because it is very strong, not to mention expensive. I'd start at 1/10 of my scent blend, and divide the remainder depending on whether you want it more lemony or more patchy.

vetivert is an amazing basenote. don't overdo b/c it does take over. it's a very grounding scent, and IMO wherever you use patch as a base note, you can use vetivert instead.

Might be a good use for vanilla as you shouldn't have to worry about discoloration too much. I have a warm vanilla sugar FO from WSP that I plan to try with my walnut powder. Maybe throw in some clary sage (am I the only person that uses this stuff?) and rosemary. Maybe a little orange to round it all out.

Last edited:

Where did you buy the black walnut hull powder from? I live in the UK too so I am interested. Thanks.

vetivert is an amazing basenote. don't overdo b/c it does take over. it's a very grounding scent, and IMO wherever you use patch as a base note, you can use vetivert instead.

Running out of patch so I may use just a few drops of vetiverte .

Love it! Sandalwood a bit pricy for me though

You can try some of the Sandlewood FO's. They won't give you near the punch of a Sandlwood EO, but they also won't deplete your entire scent budget for the next year. I just ordered three different ones from different suppliers to test them.

Latest posts

Back