Black sugar soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That sounds good! I love molasses cookies and I thought coconut sugar might work well in them.

I made the "black sugar" soap. I really liked the smell of the brown sugar and molasses so I used Brown Sugar & Fig to scent it. JMO, but it smells wonderful.

Some observations - I scraped the brown sugar and molasses into the oils and was surprised by how it appeared to swell up in the oils. It looked odd. I hit it a few times with the stickblender to disperse it and then added the lye. Another surprise - it took well over 15 minutes to even get to a light trace. I can't say exactly how long because I didn't look at the time when I started blending. After awhile, I thought "???" and then started to track the time. This isn't normal for this recipe to be this slow to trace plus I didn't let it get too cool before I blended. I don't know the temp but both containers were warm to the touch so I'm guessing at least 110F. Now I'm thinking of other ways to do this type of soap. One - make a double batch with one part with the brown sugar/molasses and the other part without because I might be able to get a nice swirl with it. I'm mulling over some other ideas. One thought is I now know that Stacie is an enabler. I may have to avoid reading her posts from now on. :lolno:

I'll have to take a picture after I cut so people can see how it turned out.

Ha! I'll enable awesome projects anytime! We found a couple recipes...one brown sugar and oatmeal one and one black sugar shampoo bar. We're going to do both with the black sugar. Undecided on the scents at the moment. Maybe tobacco and bay leaf in the shampoo bar. Scheduled in a couple weeks. I'm teaching her while doing it. In the mean time she's making her own soap molds. I'll report back when we have results.

So...first attempt: the recipe was a Chinese one (my friend knows enough Chinese to translate). It's for a shampoo bar, which is what her dad was looking for. It's a pretty basic OO, CO, and lard soap with 7% superfat. We used molasses. We added molasses and fragrance after a light trace. Nothing out of the ordinary happened at any point. We'll see how it works maybe next week.

Latest posts

Back