Black soap colouring

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotsoap

Reaction score
Has anyone has success making a truly black soap ? And if so can you give recommedations as to the colourant used ?
I'm wondering if you can use too much and have colour come out of the soap ? Does the lather stay white etc. ?

Rumor has it that activated charcoal results in a nice black soap, but I have yet to try it in a recipe. I'd think that the charcoal might lessen some of the soap's fragrance due to its odor-absorbing properties.

--Metal Substance

Black oxide works well, too, but I don't know how much you would have to use in CP to get a true black. In M&P, you can get good color if you add the oxide to mostly clear base with a little bit of opaque base added, and still have white lather, but if you have to use to too much of the colorant it will change the color of the lather.

I just recently made a soap with activated charcoal in it for a friend whose teenaged son is dealing with acne (I read that it helps with that), and it came out good and black. I used 1 tsp. ppo and the lather is white.

IrishLass

Activatec carbon (or charcoal) has a wide range of uses, because of its structure it has 4 covalent bonding sites on the carbon molecule that are able attach to any molecule, thereby changing the molecules structure into something it was not previously. (this is why they dont work well with fragrances/EO's), it is revered for its abilities for toxin absorption (both internally and externally) and I highly reccommend its use in body products as well as ingested (you can buy it in caplet form or make your own caplets), it will absorb toxins, poisons, and other unwanted nasties in the system.

I love this stuff :)

IanT said:
Activatec carbon (or charcoal) has a wide range of uses, because of its structure it has 4 covalent bonding sites on the carbon molecule that are able attach to any molecule, thereby changing the molecules structure into something it was not previously. (this is why they dont work well with fragrances/EO's), it is revered for its abilities for toxin absorption (both internally and externally) and I highly reccommend its use in body products as well as ingested (you can buy it in caplet form or make your own caplets), it will absorb toxins, poisons, and other unwanted nasties in the system.

I love this stuff :)

Thanks for that info! That's good to know. Hopefully the scent I used in my charcoal soap won't fade. So far, it's holding up great. I used Mineral Waters Spa from Daystar which is as strong as an acre of garlic at .7 oz ppo. My soap is almost a week old and it's still as strong as the day I soaped it. Here's hoping it stays that way, or at least fades only a little if it does happen to fade.

IrishLass :)

Latest posts

Back