Black soap colorant OTHER than charcoal...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTAnton

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals!(I actually have a client who uses the term "broads"! first time I EVER heard that term other than in an old movie!)...but I'm digressing...
Well this is the story...
I've made some salt bars colored with charcoal and TD half and half and named them Copacabana...seems the sidewalks there are black and white...
ANYWAY....the black is ,well, the black you get from charcoal...and I guess while I'm thinking about it the white is the white you get from TD...dare I say, matte finish?
Anyway, through the months I've given these soaps out to a lot of fanfare...and now I have requests for more...
As usual for me, I'd like to try something different to see if I can't kick it up a notch at least in coloring...what I have in my mind is something more glossy than what I had with the previous colorants....I saw once on a you tube video someone singing the virtues of a black...and then let everyone know the company wasn't making it anymore! Back to square one.
So I'm looking for suggestions from people more in the know than myself....is there a better black and white that might leave a more glossy appearance to the final soap?
Many, many thanks!

I doubt you can get glossy anything with a salt bar, they just have a matte appearance. For black, I like black oxide better then charcoal and black mica better then the oxide.

Just wanted to chime in that I recently used "Moonkissed Nights" mica from Rustic Escentuals recently with success. (link: http://rusticescentuals.com/Moonkissed-Nights-Mica.html)

Here's how it turned out in cp soap at approx 1 tsp ppo. It gave me a very dark gray (you might consider it black), but I imagine you could up that amount a bit for a truer black.

Hope this helps... good luck! :)

20150730_200522.jpg

Back