Black Mica

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jan Kates

Reaction score
Hi All! I have done a search and not found a reference to this already...I am wanting to make a black soap. I know I can use charcoal but I am interested to know if anyone has used black mica for the whole batch? And was the lather black too? Any tips for using black mica at all or should I just stick to charcoal and grey lather?

I'm very interested to hear feedback on this as well. I remember reading once of a person intentionally using a dark discoloring FO to get the soap part-way there so they needed less colorant to get their black (and therefore lighter lather), but I have no personal experience to suggest it.

I'm very interested to hear feedback on this as well. I remember reading once of a person intentionally using a dark discoloring FO to get the soap part-way there so they needed less colorant to get their black (and therefore lighter lather), but I have no personal experience to suggest it.
Thanks! That is an angle I hadn't considered too.

Mad Mica's Wicked mica is my favorite black mica. This stuff is amazing!
I only make one solid black soap and since the AC is a selling point I use a good bit of it. I use Wicked to make it a deep, dark black that's hard to achieve with AC alone. This soap does have a slightly grey lather due to the higher AC.
I've often used Wicked in swirls/stripes/etc. and it creates a true deep black with no bleeding nor grey lather.
Hope this helps!

Mad Mica's Wicked mica is my favorite black mica. This stuff is amazing!
I only make one solid black soap and since the AC is a selling point I use a good bit of it. I use Wicked to make it a deep, dark black that's hard to achieve with AC alone. This soap does have a slightly grey lather due to the higher AC.
I've often used Wicked in swirls/stripes/etc. and it creates a true deep black with no bleeding nor grey lather.
Hope this helps!
Thank you Cerelife - that is actually very helpful.
Jan

I use a discoloring FO
:thumbs: :thumbs:
Seriously, I've seen some almost black high Vanilla FOs that would be worth considering along with the Black Mica. For example, my favotite Vanilla fragrance, Bramble Berry's Vanilla Select FO.

BB's Vanilla Select.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back