Black-eyed Peas

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Black-eyed peas cooked with ham hocks, bacon, tomato and kale are happily simmering away. Corn Bread is in the oven. Has everyone had they New Year Blackk-eyed peas? Myth says to eat one pea for each day of the year if you want good luck. LOL, my daughter accused me of shorting her last year since she did not have good luck...

Pot roast with golden potatoes, carrots, and lots of yummy gravy. Meat's done, veggies are simmering.

I know -- not a traditional New Year's dish -- but it's down-home Iowa comfort food. As cold as it's been around here lately, warmth and comfort are top of the list! ;)

I'm going to fancy it up with a cranberry-lemon curd tart for dessert.

I am cooking navy beans (to sub for the black eyed peas as it is far too cold to get out) with ham bone, cabbage (for wealth in the new year), rice, and about to stir up a corn bread. Almost traditional southern New Year's meal.

We did black eyed peas as well! Hubby cooked them in a tomatoey sauce with fire roasted green chiles, and we served them over rice.

I’ve never heard of black eyed peas for New Year. A high school friend’s family tradition was sauerkraut-twelve bites every January 1. I’m with DeeAnna and made my favorite stew. It’s been so cold for so long that I just want comfort food.

I had Spaghetti for dinner. If I was at my mom's I'd definitely would of had Black Eyed Peas.

I grew up with the knowledge that it was Chinese food that brought good luck! Must be why I'm having frozen pizza for dinner...?

My husband stopped off for Chinese food on the way home from work on New Year's Eve, so that's what we had for dinner.

Today it was another favorite of ours: lima beans with green olives, a dish I learned long ago from a cooking show called Mediterranean Vegetarian or something like that. It's not on anymore, but I loved her recipes.

I did a black eyed pea and collard green soup - it turned out really well. But the yummiest part was the biscuits and chocolate gravy - I figure the peas for luck, the greens for money, and the chocolate gravy for happiness [emoji23]

I did a black eyed pea and collard green soup - it turned out really well. But the yummiest part was the biscuits and chocolate gravy - I figure the peas for luck, the greens for money, and the chocolate gravy for happiness [emoji23]
Chocolate gravy is one I have not heard of. Is it similar to Mexican Mole sauce?

Chocolate gravy is one I have not heard of. Is it similar to Mexican Mole sauce?

Not really. It’s basically a glorified chocolate sauce type thing - tastes almost like hot chocolate but more the consistency of hot fudge. When it sits for a while, it’s slightly pudding like.

No black-eyed peas here. We did have our traditional Belgian waffle brunch, then we smoked a ham for about 7 hours, had homemade Augratin potatoes with broccoli.
It was scrumdilyiscious!! :)

This recipe comes from our daughter in Texas.
TEXAS CAVIAR

Black eyed peas are eaten for good luck on New Year’s Day in the South.

3 pkgs. (10 oz.) frozen black-eyed peas
1 large bottle Zesty Italian Dressing

Cook peas and drain. Pour dressing over peas while hot.

ADD:

1 small purple onion, chopped
1 bunch green onions, chopped
3-4 Jalapeño peppers, chopped
1 small jar green olives, sliced
1 small jar pimientos, chopped
1 medium can sliced black olives

Chill before serving.

NOTE: This tastes so good, you’ll want more. Eat too much and you’ll get a tummy ache.

Latest posts

Back