Bittercreek North Vanilla Stabilizer

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Cellador I think we might be onto something with WSP (crafters choice) FO's not playing well with stabilizers. I almost used stabilizer in my cherry almond soap (7% vanillan) but decided to continue to embrace the brown. Now I'm glad I didn't as the FO is also crafters choice. I have BCN's Nag Champa FO... I think... I know it was on my wishlist and I have around 20 FO samples from them on hand... if so I might do a side by test batch of each FO with the stabilizer. I think I will stick with BCN's recommended 1:1 ratio for both tests.

So, I did another batch of test soaps, and I wanted to report back since a couple of us have had mixed results with the VS.
I did 4 test bars with different levels of VS and a variety of FO suppliers.

-Celtic Moonspice (Rustic Escentuals, 8.7% vanillin)- used a 1:1 ratio of VS to FO. Results: VS did not work. Soap is discoloring after 1 week of cure. No softness or oily weeping.

-Cedar & Saffron (Brambleberry, 3% vanillin)- used a fourth of VS to FO amount . Results: Soap is lighter than soap without the VS, but not as light as other soap results . No softness or oily weeping.

-Rich Dark Chocolate (Brambleberry, 15.9% vanillin)- used a 1:1 ratio of VS to FO. Results: Did not discolor, a little soft but no obvious weeping or oily oozing.

-Vanilla Fig (WSP, 8.6% vanillin)- used half of amount of VS to FO. Results: Did reduce some of the discoloration, but color is still patchy and orange after 1 week of cure time . No softness or oily weeping.

-Vanilla Bourbon(WSP, 4% vanillin)- used one fourth the amount of VS to FO amount. This FO was used 1:1 in original test batch and was one of the most oily, oozing samples. Results: Did slightly reduce discoloration, but not as much as before. The soap is a little soft but does not weep or ooze as much as original sample.

So, my conclusion right now is that, if I really plan on using a particular color scheme with a discoloring FO, I need to test the specific FO and VS in advance. Results can vary based on FO supplier and amount of VS used. It does seem that reducing the VS helps to prevent the weeping, oily issue I was experiencing, but the soap is still not as bright as using the 1:1 ratio.

Celtic Moonspice (Rustic Escentuals, 8.7% vanillin)- used a 1:1 ratio of VS to FO. Results: VS did not work. Soap is discoloring after 1 week of cure. No softness or oily weeping.
Hmm, that's so weird. I wonder if you got a bad batch of VS? I have used VS with Celtic Moonspice many times, and it doesn't start to discolor until right around the 9 month mark, and even then it's very slight and only around the edges.

Hmm, that's so weird. I wonder if you got a bad batch of VS? I have used VS with Celtic Moonspice many times, and it doesn't start to discolor until right around the 9 month mark, and even then it's very slight and only around the edges.
Hmm, I'm not sure...it worked remarkably well for the chocolate scent from Brambleberry.
I did notice that the Moonspice FO/VS mix kinda solidified before I got it into the soap batter. Maybe it wasn't mixed well enough? It was a sample batch, so I was using cups and spoons to mix.

Do you mix the VS with your FO? Just curious. I know that's what the instructions say to do, but everytime I ever did that the fo/vs mix would turn into a gel like substance, so after about 3 times of that, I decided to add it directly to the oils. Have never had a problem doing that.
I'm not saying that's the problem, because I don't know, I've never experienced BCN's VS not working the way you have, so not sure. Might be something to think about though, maybe?

I do the same by adding the VS to my oils and stick blend then add my FO then my lye mixture. The handful I've used it in are still going strong. Pink Sugar (Peak), Vanilla Champagne (Nature's Garden), OMH (Southern Scentsations), Vanilla Bean Noel (WSP), Dragon's Blood (NG). I don't use a lot of discoloring FO's.

I have tried vanilla stabilizer in my cold process recipes. I just don't like the way it processes with the soap. There is something about it that changes the hardness and quality of the soap. I have had terriible luck with it in goat milk soap. I noticed that it doesn't saponify properly. Now I often use a regular vanilla fragrance that I like and I add Non-discoloring vanilla fragrance to it. The non discoloring vanilla by itself doesn't smell all that great, but in cold process soap, it seems to smell better after processing. I usually add about 1/4 non discoloring to my favorite vanilla fragrance oil and it helps with the texture and processing of goat milk soap and water based soap. It also has an effect on the soap not discoloring so much. It smells good too when you mix the two.

I finally realized that the shipping option of Spee-Dee Delivery is an affordable option for the Bitter Creek North Vanilla Stablilizer! I kept postponing ordering it because for some reason, I did not see that option and the cost of UPS was just so high, I thought it was not worth the expense of shipping.

So today I finally submitted an order and when it arrives, I plan to do a trial with DB to see if it really is as remarkable as everyone says. I trust folks here, so I have high expectations for it.

I finally realized that the shipping option of Spee-Dee Delivery is an affordable option for the Bitter Creek North Vanilla Stablilizer! I kept postponing ordering it because for some reason, I did not see that option and the cost of UPS was just so high, I thought it was not worth the expense of shipping.

So today I finally submitted an order and when it arrives, I plan to do a trial with DB to see if it really is as remarkable as everyone says. I trust folks here, so I have high expectations for it.
I think you'll be pleased with it. My Vanilla Champagne I made in 2018 is just now starting to turn tannish.

My order was delivered around 4 pm yesterday, but I did not see it on my doorstep until 15 hours later (this morning) because BCN does not send a confirmation of shipment, nor a tracking number. How annoying. I sent a request for that information on Sept 18, but they never responded. ETA (they say I responded to a DoNotReply email message, so maybe that's why.)

Well, at least it's here. So if anyone does order, look for it every day, and if you don't want it sitting out overnight on your doorstep, check your porch before you go to bed each night. :rolleyes:

So from date of order to deliver was 7 days, not bad (except for the lack of communication.)

Update: I received emails from BCN with apologies for not supplying the tracking number, although, they say that Spee-Dee sends the tracking number, which it didn't. So far I have not received a response from Spee-Dee, whom I also messaged with a complaint. But at least BCN did follow-up on the complaint promptly.

Last edited:
Back