Bitter Creek May pre-summer specials

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm curious about several, but no notes for soap. I know they're a candle supply company as their focus, but I wish they would do some testing for soaps too! Or send me freebies and I'll test for them if they've confirmed they're already body safe.

I was rather upset with them as they have a cherry almond FO in their soap safe category, but after ordering and getting ready to soap, I went back to check the vanillan content and only then did I notice it had a "not body safe" disclaimer. So frustrating. Glad I had only bought a sample size.

Bitter Creek is not my favorite supplier for most things. In fact the only thing I get from them is my vanilla stabilizer, and I'm going to be so sad when it gets discontinued or they go out of business. (I mean I hope it never happens, but it's not out of the realm of possibilities of course)

I was rather upset with them as they have a cherry almond FO in their soap safe category, but after ordering and getting ready to soap, I went back to check the vanillan content and only then did I notice it had a "not body safe" disclaimer. So frustrating. Glad I had only bought a sample size.

I've discovered that the best way on their site to find out beforehand if an FO is body safe is to click on 'Fragrances by Category', and from there scroll down the list and click on 'Lotion Safe'. It's a surefire way to see all their body-safe FO's without any of those that are not body safe getting in the way. I looked up Cherry Almond and it is not listed under their 'Lotion Safe' FOs.

As with Jcandleattic, I love their vanilla stabilizer and would hate to ever see it go away.

As far as FO's go, I really don't have all that many from them, but I love their Vanilla Extract FO (formerly from Bitter Creek South). It truly smells like real vanilla extract to my nose. I've never soaped with it, I just use it in perfume blends. I also love their Violet Birch FO (listed under their 'Surplus FO's'). I found out too late that the Violet Birch was not body-safe, though. By the time I did find out, I had already used it in soap and perfume spray. For what it's worth, neither caused any adverse issues to us....thankfully. I also love their Cedar Wood FO which smells like a real cedar chest. It also is not body safe, but I've only ever used it in potpourri sachets, so I'm good there!

IrishLass :)

I too was not overly impressed with them on my last pre Xmas order. Some smelled just blah and another I am afraid to even try it.
But if their Lime was soap safe and smelled divine I would buy it !
as @amd said, I don't like that they have not been tested.

If you can find a good supplier for Lime EO, I would go for it. Lime EO in my experience is one of the only EO's that will actually stick long term (have a soap 5 years old still smells awesome)

And as far as EO's go, Lime is one that is relatively inexpensive. I used to get mine from Soap Making Resource, but as far as I'm aware they have gone out of business. I had 5lbs from them and am on my last ounce or so and am hoarding it.

I mainly wanted it for blending so I can morph other FO's that I am not happy with
But thank you for the info !! I wonder if anyone else has a good Lime EO

I mainly wanted it for blending so I can morph other FO's that I am not happy with
But thank you for the info !! I wonder if anyone else has a good Lime EO
I've heard of these places being good:
New Directions,
Camden Grey
Elements
I can't think of anywhere else off the top of my head, but that's a start anyway.

I'll second the NDA recommendation. I have the Key Lime Peru EO and it sticks wonderfully. I have soap that is ... hmmm I believe I made it August 2017, so however old that is, that is still well scented. I used 1 oz Lime and 1 oz basil EO's in a 4lb batch. The basil is mostly gone now but the lime is holding well. Wish we lived closer, I'd go in on an NDA order with you - there's a few things I need but not enough for the minimum order amount.

Sun Pure Botanicals has the best prices on EOs and shipping, no minimums, a wide range of sizes, choose plastic or amber glass, fast shipping, well packed for shipping, good customer service, women-owned company, I've been using them for years, 99.4% rating on Ebay. Best price for high altitude French lavender and emu oil.
I am wondering about the Lime ! Would be nice to have a lime that is good
I'm happy to send you a sniffy of Sun Pure's Lime Essential Oil.

Last edited:
@Zany_in_CO Thank you for the offer. I am not yet into the EO's due to the Biz still new. Once I get more out there or more of an online following I may look more into that.

Did I tell you that your Avatar always reminds me of Australia ? Not sure why, but it does ;)

I'll second the NDA recommendation. I have the Key Lime Peru EO and it sticks wonderfully. I have soap that is ... hmmm I believe I made it August 2017, so however old that is, that is still well scented. I used 1 oz Lime and 1 oz basil EO's in a 4lb batch. The basil is mostly gone now but the lime is holding well. Wish we lived closer, I'd go in on an NDA order with you - there's a few things I need but not enough for the minimum order amount.
NDA is the only supplier I use (besides random orders from Amazon). Their prices are very good (i.e., actually better in Canada than in the US, which is startling) and I somehow manage to make the minimum order---and then some. I guess that's because I don't spread my purchases out over many suppliers....it's NDA or nuthin.

I like Bittercreek's Leather - more "new car" than "saddle shop" but still good. I also like their Blackberry Musk, which is I think a Bubbles n Lights one. Autumn Warmth is fab - sticks for years. Very unique IMO. Sort of spicy - clove, cinnamon, etc, with a smokey/incense note too it. I find Lime Leaf and Lily to be sort of generic, but it does stick well and is an excellent blender. Their Heliotrope is super gross.

I so miss Bubbles n Lights !
I still have a couple small bottles of theres from 10, YES 10 years ago !! Still smell strong and work FAB !

Latest posts

Back