Bitter Almond Oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
(Reposting on this section as there were no responses on the other one)

Recently picked up a litre of cold-pressed bitter almond oil to test in CP soaps. I'm trying to figure if the SAP value is similar for the two. So, a bit confused about the usage rate. Search results mostly yielded bitter almond essential oil that's super fragrant and used in small quantities for its fragrance.

a) The Bitter Almond oil I received is pretty much odourless.
b) The Sweet Almond oil that I order from a different supplier has a sweet and nutty fragrance.

As of now I'm considering using it at 10%.

Also wondering about the difference in properties between two.

All inputs are appreciated :) xx

Bitter almond oil comes from the bitter almond tree, Prunus amygdalus var. amara, or from other fruit trees such as cherries and apricots whose seeds contain similar cyanide and benzaldehyde compounds.

There are two versions of bitter almond oil. One is rectified where the lethal cyanide compounds have been removed and then there is the unrectified bitter almond oil. Never use the unrectified oil for any reason -- a mere drop or two can be deadly.

Even the rectified bitter almond oil is not recommended for use except in trace amounts. It can still be lethal if ingested and can cause severe irritation on the skin.

I'm 100% with Kim -- Please do not use bitter almond oil to make soap, even if it is rectified. You are asking for trouble. I would not use rectified bitter almond for any purpose except in small amounts as food flavoring or in perfumes.

Sweet almond oil is from an entirely different type of almond tree, Prunus amygdalus var. dulcis. This oil is safe for use in soap.

In the future, if you do not get an answer to your question, please "bump" the thread (in other words, make a new post on the existing thread) to bring it to people's attention again. Please do not make a new thread with the same question -- duplicate posts get far too confusing.

you aren't going to find a use for it because it's poisonous similar to cyanide.

I believe the cyanide has been removed. Thanks for the input.

Bitter almond oil comes from the bitter almond tree, Prunus amygdalus var. amara, or from other fruit trees such as cherries and apricots whose seeds contain similar cyanide and benzaldehyde compounds.

There are two versions of bitter almond oil. One is rectified where the lethal cyanide compounds have been removed and then there is the unrectified bitter almond oil. Never use the unrectified oil for any reason -- a mere drop or two can be deadly.

Even the rectified bitter almond oil is not recommended for use except in trace amounts. It can still be lethal if ingested and can cause severe irritation on the skin.

I'm 100% with Kim -- Please do not use bitter almond oil to make soap, even if it is rectified. You are asking for trouble. I would not use rectified bitter almond for any purpose except in small amounts as food flavoring or in perfumes.

Sweet almond oil is from an entirely different type of almond tree, Prunus amygdalus var. dulcis. This oil is safe for use in soap.

In the future, if you do not get an answer to your question, please "bump" the thread (in other words, make a new post on the existing thread) to bring it to people's attention again. Please do not make a new thread with the same question -- duplicate posts get far too confusing.

Noted and noted. Thanks for responding!

Now I'm wondering what to do with the oil :|

Only the essential oil is poisonous I believe.
The benzaldehyde is removed from the almonds when they distill the essential oil before the resulting meal is pressed for oil.

Your supplier ought to have or be able to get a certificate of analysis with fatty acid makeup; but from rooting around in my books it looks like the fatty oil ought to be very much the same in composition as that of sweet almond, if it's got the benzaldehyde removed.

Salvo & Alfa give the fa's in Prunus dulcis amara, bitter almond, as
palmitic 5.93 (sweet almond, 6-8)
palmitoleic 0.67 (<1)
stearic 2.0 (1-2)
oleic 72.65 (64-82)
linolenic 17.77 (8-28)

So if I had this oil and it didn't smell all almondy and my supplier assured me it was FFPA (free from prussic acid) like the rectified bitter almond essential oil, and sold for food use, I'd soap it the same as sweet almond oil.

Last edited:
The benzaldehyde is removed from the almonds when they distill the essential oil before the resulting meal is pressed for oil.

Your supplier ought to have or be able to get a certificate of analysis with fatty acid makeup; but from rooting around in my books it looks like the fatty oil ought to be very much the same in composition as that of sweet almond, if it's got the benzaldehyde removed.

palmitoleic 0.67 (<1)
stearic 2.0 (1-2)
oleic 72.65 (64-82)
linolenic 17.77 (8-28)

So if I had this oil and it didn't smell all almondy and my supplier assured me it was FFPA (free from prussic acid) like the rectified bitter almond essential oil, and sold for food use, I'd soap it the same as sweet almond oil.
Check out this description of some Bitter Almond Oil a company near me sells Pure Bitter Almond Oil 100% Pure Extra Virgin Cold Pressed | Etsy I was always taught to stay far away from Bitter Almond by my gramma

palmitoleic 0.67 (<1)
stearic 2.0 (1-2)
oleic 72.65 (64-82)
linolenic 17.77 (8-28)

Thank you for this!

I wouldn't buy oils on etsy. Or ebay or Amazon.

There is a difference between essential oils (which I also wouldn't buy on etsy) and vegetable oils.

But if the vegetable oil was ok'd for human consumption by the USDA (US) or Health Canada or wherever I lived, I'd believe them.
Check out this description of some Bitter Almond Oil a company near me sells Pure Bitter Almond Oil 100% Pure Extra Virgin Cold Pressed | Etsy I was always taught to stay far away from Bitter Almond by my gramma

Almond Oil, Bitter - Essential Oil - highly aromatic
Almond Oil, Sweet - Carrier Oil
I mix the two 50/50 to use in blends and in my cuticle balm. The sweet almond oil I have is fragrance free. It is good for skin, hair and nails. It's a common ingredient in nail strengthening products. It is said that Jackie Kennedy slathered it all over before going to bed. Bitter almond smells heavenly and is used in perfumery. @Sar If your bitter almond oil is odorless, that's odd. I doubt it's the real thing.

Read more here:

https://www.edenbotanicals.com/almond-bitter.html
I'm trying to figure if the SAP value is similar for the two. So, a bit confused about the usage rate. Search results mostly yielded bitter almond essential oil that's super fragrant and used in small quantities for its fragrance.
For what it's worth, I have made 100% sweet almond oil castile soap CP with oatmeal flour and honey -- a recipe from a member on a another forum. I also made 100% sweet almond oil liquid soap/shampoo, special request from a customer. I would not use bitter almond oil to make CP, only to fragrance the soap, and because it is so strong (and volatile) I would dilute it with sweet almond oil upon arrival, perhaps at 10% bitter almond / 90% carrier oil. Not sure about that, but it could be enough.

ETA: Just found this info on Bitter Almond use rate on EO Calc:

https://www.eocalc.com/essential-oils/almond-bitter/

Last edited:
Now I'm confused! o_O I googled "Bitter Almond Oil (Natural)" as it was referenced at EO Calc and it seems this is a different category, i.e., NOT Bitter Almond Essential Oil. This link says it comes from crushed almond kernels rather than apricot or cherry pits as @DeeAnna and Eden Botanicals mentioned. Hmmm.

https://socialitebeauty.ca/blogs/cleanbeautyguide/bitter-almond-oil

They are indeed two different things; there's also cold pressed oil from plums, also Prunus species, that supposedly has some almond aroma while being skin safe.

I'd love to see the COA for the O.P.'s oil. Is it European? The manufacturer and /or the importer really ought to have all that. I get avocado oil from France and the importer furnishes that information.

I stand corrected. I obviously did not understand that certain types of bitter almond oil are safe to use in larger amounts like sweet almond oil rather than an ingredient to be used with caution as a flavoring or scent additive. I guess the OP is going to have to figure out which type they have.

I stand corrected. I obviously did not understand that certain types of bitter almond oil are safe to use in larger amounts like sweet almond oil rather than an ingredient to be used with caution as a flavoring or scent additive. I guess the OP is going to have to figure out which type they have.

It is not the EO variety, so I figure it's alright to use in soaps. Recently came across cold-pressed Bitter Almond Oil being used as a carrier oil for body oil/pain relief oil as well. I believe there isn't too much information available online regarding the same.

@Sar I agree with @paradisi and @DeeAnna above. More information is needed. It would be useful if you could provide a link to the Bitter Almond Oil you received. Curious cats are we! ;)

I actually ordered it directly from my POC. Checked the website and it's not listed at the moment. Here's the link anyway :) : Vintage Aroma – Cold pressed oils

They are indeed two different things; there's also cold pressed oil from plums, also Prunus species, that supposedly has some almond aroma while being skin safe.

I'd love to see the COA for the O.P.'s oil. Is it European? The manufacturer and /or the importer really ought to have all that. I get avocado oil from France and the importer furnishes that information.

The manufacturer is from India, as am I :)

Back