BIIIIG SOAP, LITTLE KNIFE

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Incrtalent

Reaction score
Help! I'm sure there's an answer for this one. Now that I'm buying my soap in blocks of 25 lbs, I find it EXTREMELY difficult to cut. My big butcher knife was sufficient before, but goodness! How do you guys effectively cut these huge chunks of soap? I can't imagine what's going to happen when I start buying in 50# blocks. (If there even is such a thing.) I'm trying to streamline so it does not take so much time.

Any suggestions?

I would suggest cutting the whole thing at one time & wear a glove on your left hand. I use a long knife, slice, don't cut. Pretend you are carving thin slices of beef (said the vegetarian :lol: ) for a sandwich. Push downward from standing above so you can put your weight into it, with your right hand on the handle & the palm of your left hand on the backside of the blade. Slice a few from 1 corner & spin your soap block, slice a few from the next corner, spin your soap, etc, if you do not spin the block it will become unbalanced & may flip open when you put your weight into it & you may lose a finger! Once it it thin enough to cut in half, you can chunk cut from there.

I have heard electric knives work on M&P soap to0.

cutting

I use my dough slicer - or my husband's hard core throwing knives, they work really well. he isn't pleased, but i don't m&p anymore.

Latest posts

Back