big mistake, I forgot the coconut oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tammy sue starks

Reaction score
This is my recipe calculated on majestic mountain sage
250 g castor oil
1000 g coconut oil (which I forgot)
1700 g olive oil
1200 g lard
1500 g tallow
774 g sodium hydroxide
1800 ml distilled water
5 tbsp colloidal oatmeal
using brambleberry fragrance calculator I put in 135 g milk and honey fo
and 135 southern peach fo
can I fix it without it washing away fast when I shower?

Have you already put your soap in the mold and let it harden? If so, shred up your soap and put in in a double boiler or slow cooker; add the missing coconut oil and a little water and melt it all together. Stir it up good and put it in a mold. You will probably have to add more FO.

will rebatching result in a soft soap that washes away quickly though

I did mold it, and to look at it and feel it, it looks right. I've decorated it and everything. Grrrr. I just want to throw it away

lsg gave great advice. I'm just curious why you're making such a big batch? Holy cow., I sell and don't make that much soap at once. It's a lot of soap to possibly throw away because of an error.

Rebatched soap will be as good as your recipe. It may take a bit of a longer cure.

I would not throw it away. If you don't add the extra oil, it may be lye heavy. Re-batching it won't make it wash away quickly. After it is all melted and blended together well, put it in a mold and let it set until it hardens. Un-mold it and let it cure for 4 weeks. It should work well.

lsg gave great advice. I'm just curious why you're making such a big batch? Holy cow., I sell and don't make that much soap at once. It's a lot of soap to possibly throw away because of an error.

Rebatched soap will be as good as your recipe. It may take a bit of a longer cure.
lol, I make tons of soap because I'm friends with a butcher. He gets 6 to 12 bars each time he gives me a 50 lb box of pig or beef fat. I just like doing it
plus giving it away has gotten me a few perfect recipes judging from replies

With a -20 superfat which is approx what you have ended up with you will have to rebatch or toss the batch. Your soap with such a high minus superfat will never cure out and will stay lye heavy. Just do not forget to add in your CO when you rebatch. You will probably have to rebatch in two batches because it will not all fit in a large crock pot.

With a -20 superfat which is approx what you have ended up with you will have to rebatch or toss the batch. Your soap with such a high minus superfat will never cure out and will stay lye heavy. Just do not forget to add in your CO when you rebatch. You will probably have to rebatch in two batches because it will not all fit in a large crock pot.
ok, thank you!

Latest posts

Back