Big Lotion Mistake

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

froggybean37

Reaction score
So, I've made 80 lbs of lotion and made the rookie mistake of running out of preservative - how long can this lotion sit without preservative? Or is it all a waste now?

So, I've made 80 lbs of lotion and made the rookie mistake of running out of preservative - how long can this lotion sit without preservative? Or is it all a waste now?
Ouch! That's a lot of lotion! I would put it in the fridge asap. I would guess it would last a least a couple of days, but you might want to get some microb testers to be sure.
Then again, if you have to pay extra for shipping to get the preservatives quickly, what's the cost difference in throwing away the batch vs. expedited shipping?

Ouch! That's a lot of lotion! I would put it in the fridge asap. I would guess it would last a least a couple of days, but you might want to get some microb testers to be sure.
Then again, if you have to pay extra for shipping to get the preservatives quickly, what's the cost difference in throwing away the batch vs. expedited shipping?
Thanks for the quick reply! Honestly, that much lotion probably cost me just $150-ish in materials, but total waste... I'll probably just toss it instead of wasting more time and ingredients down the road...

Thanks for the quick reply! Honestly, that much lotion probably cost me just $150-ish in materials, but total waste... I'll probably just toss it instead of wasting more time and ingredients down the road...

Oh no, that's not good. If you're in Colorado I can probably get something to you fairly quickly. :)

Oh no! I've done this before as well so don't feel bad! I've been making lotions and soaps for 6 years and I just recently did this. Lol It happens...

I put what preservative I had in the lotion, cooled it down, sealed the pot, and stored it in my cold basement until the rest of the preservative arrived a couple days later (I did pay a little extra for faster shipping but 2 of my speedy suppliers border me so I didn't have to spend too much thankfully). Once I got it, I melted down my lotion, not too hot, and then added the remaining amount and mixed really well. I watched it closely and never had any issues.
Did you use tap water or distilled water because I'm pretty sure you're fine for a few days, probably a week or so if you used distilled. You should also be okay for a bit longer if you had some amount of preservative in there.

I use Rosemary EO or Tea tree oil. Both have preservative properties.
Neither Rosemary or Tea Tree will preserve a lotion or any product containing water based ingredients. Selling items that are not properly preserved is just asking for a lawsuit. I do not sell at this point, but to protect my family and friends, I do use broad spectrum preservatives. I wouldn't want to harm anyone unintentionally, especially my friends and family.

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/preservative-info.3243/

Since I am pretty paranoid when it comes to lotions because of my skin issues, I do know the chances that a lotion may kill someone I still would not sell a lotion that was not properly preserved when first made. I do know how fast a skin infection can go sepsis and get ugly quickly so I do not think $150 in ingredients is worth the risk. Next time you will remember to check if all ingredients are in stock. Lesson learned.

My question is how long does it take for your 80 lbs of lotion to initially cool down or do you have a way to accelerate the cool down phase? I simply would not trust letting the lotion sit until preservative comes. As for reheating lotion just make sure it does not heat past the safe temp of the preservative. I use a 2 preservative system with 2 different temp ranges. One reason I like to get my preservative in as soon as possible and two some preservatives are stronger at preserving molds and some at preserving bacteria. Just my opinion.

And Tea Tree and Rosemary are Not Preservatives besides who wants 80 lbs of Tea Tree and Rosemary Lotion.

I use Rosemary EO or Tea tree oil. Both have preservative properties.
And this is why I don't buy handmade lotions. I've seen too many people "preserve" their lotions with EO's or... honey. Yep, a local honey producer makes her own lotion and preserves it with honey and vitamin E.... because honey is anitbacterial so the lotion won't go bad. NO.THANK.YOU. I'll go swimming in the sewer tank before I use that lotion.

And this is why I don't buy handmade lotions. I've seen too many people "preserve" their lotions with EO's or... honey. Yep, a local honey producer makes her own lotion and preserves it with honey and vitamin E.... because honey is anitbacterial so the lotion won't go bad. NO.THANK.YOU. I'll go swimming in the sewer tank before I use that lotion.
This.

Latest posts

Back