Big Hello from Somerset, UK

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrsMilk

Reaction score
Good morning beautiful people,

I'm Di and I'm a newbie soap maker. In fact I'm so new I'm still waiting for my first batch to cure.

As my username possibly suggests I have an interest in milk soaps - The reason being my husband is a dairy farmer so we thought it would be a fun way to use our cows milk - I didn't even know you could make cows milk soap until a few weeks ago when shock, shock, horror I heard of goats milk soap for the first time..

There is so much for me to learn so I expect you'll see me popping up all over the place with questions - Some of them probably extremely daft so please be kind. :cool:

I'll be asking some questions about batch number one as soon as I find the right place.

Hello and welcome!!! You can pretty much use any kind of milk. I've never used cows milk personally. I've heard it can smell pretty bad but can't speak to it personally. I use mostly coconut milk or goat's milk.

Hello and welcome!!! You can pretty much use any kind of milk. I've never used cows milk personally. I've heard it can smell pretty bad but can't speak to it personally. I use mostly coconut milk or goat's milk.

LOL - I just went upstairs to have another sniff.

The batch I made this weekend I've called 'naked' - I didn't add anything to it so I could see what it looks/smells/behaves like. It's got a kinda oily sweet scent (not sure that that makes any sense even to me but it is the closest I can think of to describe it). I quite like it and for the first time ever wish I could share aromas through my laptop.

XXX

Welcome, MrsMilk. As a child, I loved spending time at my relatives' dairy farms.

Excuse multiple posts - I must learn how to quote several posts in one reply.

It is great being on a dairy farm. My husbands family make cheddar cheese and have been here for hundreds of years. Such a laid back way of life.

Welcome MrsMilk! I love Somerset! I'm a genealogy buff and my maternal grandmother's family are from there. Spent some time there a few years back - beautiful country!

Welcome! I use raw milk that my DH picks up from an Amish run dairy farm. My customers love it. I do make sure that my lye water is completely cooled to room temp before adding the milk to avoid an orange tinge (burnt milk sugars) to my soaps. I have recently been playing with micas in my milk based soaps. Looking forward to your future soap pictures :D

Back