Bht

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone add in BHT to their soap? I know my lard already contains BHT but I was still having dos problems with it. I have started adding in an additional .1% to all my soaps and no dos in the last 6 months, not even a speck. I used to use ROE, but remember reading Kevin Dunn's article on DOS and remember he found BHT worked the best, in his test results. It has certainly helped mine. I now save my ROE for my new oils when I open them. Just color me happy :)

Does anyone add in BHT to their soap? I know my lard already contains BHT but I was still having dos problems with it. I have started adding in an additional .1% to all my soaps and no dos in the last 6 months, not even a speck. I used to use ROE, but remember reading Kevin Dunn's article on DOS and remember he found BHT worked the best, in his test results. It has certainly helped mine. I now save my ROE for my new oils when I open them. Just color me happy :)

The combination of BHT and sodium citrate was the best in Dunn's tests. However BHT + EDTA and ROE + EDTA combinations were also very good. Even though I no longer sell soap, I always think of it in terms of a product anyway, so I switched to ROE + EDTA because BHT has negative connotations for people from its use in food. A concern about BHT in soap is, of course, ridiculous, but we live in a time of chemophobic faddism and deep, willful ignorance.

Previously I used BHT + EDTA with good results. I retained samples of the soap I sold, and it was a good 7 years before I noticed a color change from oxidation, but never any spots. However, ROE + EDTA was pretty comparable in the Dunn experiments. I never tried BHT + citrate.

There is one additional odd thing about BHT that spooked me a little, but I don't know what to make of it. A friend of mine at my suggestion tried the BHT + sodium citrate combination in her HP soap (she already used citrate but added the BHT). Her batch turned vivid yellow in any test she did. This is apparently the color BHT turns when it's antioxidant properties are exhausted.

The combination of BHT and sodium citrate was the best in Dunn's tests. However BHT + EDTA and ROE + EDTA combinations were also very good. Even though I no longer sell soap, I always think of it in terms of a product anyway, so I switched to ROE + EDTA because BHT has negative connotations for people from its use in food. A concern about BHT in soap is, of course, ridiculous, but we live in a time of chemophobic faddism and deep, willful ignorance.

Previously I used BHT + EDTA with good results. I retained samples of the soap I sold, and it was a good 7 years before I noticed a color change from oxidation, but never any spots. However, ROE + EDTA was pretty comparable in the Dunn experiments. I never tried BHT + citrate.

There is one additional odd thing about BHT that spooked me a little, but I don't know what to make of it. A friend of mine at my suggestion tried the BHT + sodium citrate combination in her HP soap (she already used citrate but added the BHT). Her batch turned vivid yellow in any test she did. This is apparently the color BHT turns when it's antioxidant properties are exhausted.
I always have citric acid on hand since I mix a gallon of it at a time. I do not list it since it is a long way from 1% in a batch and it is already in my lard which goes in most batches. You are right with all the scare mongers around someone will find something to question. I simply do not worry about them. If someone questions my one lotion I use a paraben based preservative I just ask them which is going to cause more problems, all the yuckies and molds that can grow in the lotion or the tiny drop of preservative especially in a milk lotion. Usually changes the way they look at it.
I do not hp often but have not had it turn yellow.

CaraBou, mine came from a large cosmetic supply house

Latest posts

Back