Beyond Frustrated. I need a recipe.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccsslb

Reaction score
I can't believe container candles are harder to master than all of my bath and body products put together. I've decided it's the ambiguity I'm struggling with. Give me a recipe that I can follow and I'm golden. Tell me a thousand and one ways to make a single candle depending on a thousand and two different variables and I lose my mind!

I've invested too much in equipment and supplies to just quit, but I've also invested enough money that I need to start earning some returns. Now if only I could figure out how to get ANY hot throw.

I'm most interested in para-soy blends. I've been trying to use Joy Wax from Nature, but I'm seriously considering switching to IGI 6006 because it makes me nervous to be locked into just one supplier. I heat to 200F, add FO at 175-170F, pour at 165-160F per manufacturer. I'm using 3 3/8" wide Libbey rocks and tumbler glasses which are about the only part of the whole set-up that is working well. I've gone up, down, back, forth and all around with CD and ECO wicks. CD10 came the closest in a naked candle, but as soon as I added fragrance oil (at 10%) that was out the window in trying to get some sort of smell out of the thing. I've tried various FOs from NG and WSP paying close attention to ones that are reported to give good throws in the reviews. The whole plan is to add candles with matching fragrances to my line of soaps and body products.

Please I'm begging. Does anyone have a tried and true wax/wick "recipe" that gives consistent hot throw?

1625001856194.png

I typically use the IGI6006 wax and I have found that the HTP wicks have worked the best with that wax. I struggled with the CD and ECO wicks and could not find a size that worked consistantly. I did a lot of trial and error with the GW 464 soy wax and I could never get those candles to be consistant so I moved to the para-soy wax. For an 8 ounce jelly jar I have used an HTP 93 and the burn has been much more even than others. I have also tried an HTP 104 in an 8 ounce jelly jar but I was worried about it burning too hot. I hope this helps!

Latest posts

Back