Beveled edges or not?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshleyR

Reaction score
Do you bevel the edges on your soaps or not?

Sort of a spin-off to my other post about crinkle or plain cutting. :)

What do you prefer?

Personally, I like the LOOK of unbeveled edges better, but I like the feel of beveled edges when I use the soap!

I bevel.

I've gotten soap in swaps where the unbeveled soap is straight and even, absolutely beautiful.

Mine, however, have little spurs here and there, so I whack em all.
Plus, I love to use the scraps.

beveled edges are time consuming, but make the soap look more polished and are easier to use the first couple of times.

it just a matter of personnel preference and the look you want your soaps to come across as.

oh and because i am a little on the anal side i vote for beveled. :lol:

I actually like the look of unbeveled better, in most cases anyway. but I get complaints that the edge of the bar is too sharp so I bevel or round the edges.

I bevel because I don't like the feel of sharp edges. I use my trusty potato peeler to get it done.

IrishLass

Bevelled edges or not?

I don't sell, but I do give alot of my soaps away to friends and family. I can't stand to waste the soap, myself, so I don't bevel for me, but I pull out the potato peeler ( I have other bevellers, but the potato peeler is still the best and easiest) for my give-aways. It is not so much for the look but for the comfort factor for the first few uses.

I will whip out the tater tool for quick stuff, but my kangaroo blue beveler does a much neater and more consistent job. I know SMM has one to but I've never tried his latest incarnation so I can't comment on that.

carebear said:
I will whip out the tater tool for quick stuff, but my kangaroo blue beveler does a much neater and more consistent job. I know SMM has one to but I've never tried his latest incarnation so I can't comment on that.
SMM?
I need a beveler.
Everytime I read the posts here I find I need something else...

Deda said:
carebear said:
SMM?
I need a beveler.
Everytime I read the posts here I find I need something else...

I think she means Soapmaker_Man?

carebear said:

Incarnation....OK.... :)

Here is my new incarnation of a beveler and bar planer;

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?li ... d=19463241

Paul: AKA SMM Soapmaker Man

Incarnation - remember I had one of the originals with the wire...?

I had my hub make me a beveler and it's so quick and easy you would think I'd bevel all my soaps (I like the look of a beveled soap) but really it depends on how lazy (or not) I am at the time they should be bevelled whether I do it or not. :)

Oh - I hadn't noticed those. Figured you had moved on from that design to the other.

Back