Better Hunters Soap.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ve searched and read the forum for hunters soap ideas. As much as I hate it, I’ve used this kind of stuff as I prepare to hunt. I use the same brands gawd awful lotion too, and I use it as a conditioner. The thing that gets me is the anti microbial and enzyme ingredients. They’re supposed to prevent body odor from building.
I’d like to makea better hunters soap than this stuff! But is anyone familiar with ingredients to CP soap for this purpose?

Attachments

• BB2DAE15-F656-4287-A285-B071A5CADFD5.jpeg
    BB2DAE15-F656-4287-A285-B071A5CADFD5.jpeg
    102.3 KB · Views: 16
  • F37EE744-5A85-4C35-94D4-AF6CA6096BEB.jpeg
    F37EE744-5A85-4C35-94D4-AF6CA6096BEB.jpeg
    169.3 KB · Views: 18
Are you trying to simply avoid having BO while out, or are you trying to keep the animals from smelling you? Or...both? When we'd camp to hunt moose we'd just wash the "pits and stinky bits" with a plain damp washcloth. No soap, no lotion, etc. The nieces and nephews loved being free to be dirty! Of course, we headed back down the river to home after someone got a moose because, you know, they're huge. There was one of us, my favorite in my "moose camp family", who insisted we should not wash and eat only smoked salmon while in camp. Loved that guy, mostly because he always setup an army tent with a wood stove, and a bucket potty when he knew I was coming out. LOL

But I digress. As far as making a CP soap for the occasion...I draw a blank since even unscented soap has a scent. I have, however, used a bar of unscented soap successfully as a mild deodorant. Wet the bar, rub onto arm pits. Doesn't last all day, but it keeps you from being noticeably stinky. For a lotion, I'd favor bringing plain refined coconut oil, as that's the only oil I can think of that would keep well and has little to no smell. A bit drying, but it's better than nothing. I have very sensitive skin so I'm guessing these would work for just about anyone. For hair...braids and a wool hat! :) Or, you could just eat smoked salmon and nobody will know you have a little BO because they won't want to come near your salmon breath! 🤣

Happy Hunting!

Last edited by a moderator:
hmmmm...I'm confused...where'd my pic go? I truly apologize to anyone I might have offended. Well, anywho, @TashaBird it was a pic of me with my moose. PM me if ya want to see the pic. Hope you're having a lovely time out there in the wilds!

hmmmm...I'm confused...where'd my pic go? I truly apologize to anyone I might have offended. Well, anywho, @TashaBird it was a pic of me with my moose. PM me if ya want to see the pic. Hope you're having a lovely time out there in the wilds!
I deleted your photo, it was not appropriate for a soap forum.

Anise seed EO is used sometimes in hunter and fisherman soap to mask human scent.
Periodically I make a batch of anise-scented soap, no color form hunting and fishing friends. I don't know if there is a scientific basis for it to work, but a couple of them swear by it. The hunters wash with it and smell like black licorish. Kinda tasty if you're a bear or cougar, me-thinks. The fishermen wipe their lures on it before they dunk them in the water. Seems to me the scent would just wash off but...maybe the scent draws the fish to the area, dunno. Maybe it's more of a good luck charm. But, I will say, after cleaning fish guts, washing hands with anise-scented soap is helpful.

My hubby uses Dead Down Wind laundry detergent to wash all his hunting clothes but doesn't like the body products at all. I make soap for him using EO's of plants native to our area and where he hunts so sage, juniper, pine etc. Or he uses unscented when the mood strikes or is in unfamiliar vegetation. The biggest thing he does to decrease body scent is with his diet so he avoids garlic, cauliflower, beans, etc for a week prior. I have no idea if all these measures really work since wildlife smell things so much differently than humans but I guess it makes him feel better, lol.

So bored at work... and google searching your ingredients of that shampoo. Its basically syndet shampoo ingredients, surfactants, detergents, foaming agents, chelating agent.... The interesting ingredients are the Benzyl alcohol (anti-parasite medication used to treat lice, be careful it can be a skin irritant), salicylic acid(anti-acne exfoliator) and Subtilisin (an enzyme stain cutter-used often in laundry detergent). I was just curious, wondering what ingredients masked you human smell.... And honestly I just think it's really good at removing and exfoliating all the dead skin off your body and striping excess oils. How'd your Hunting trip go? Have fun?
PS... I'm very curious what new soaping equipment you get to purchase!?!?!? 🤔🤭😳

I have a friend who makes a soap that is very popular with hunters. I think she just uses her regular recipe and scents it with "dirt" FO from WSP

Why do you use those scents for those groups DeeAnna? Thank you!

Anise helps a lot to remove any fish odor on skin, so I use it in soap as much or more for the fisher person as I do for the fish. Fish don't seem to be repelled by the scent (taste?) of anise, but I do know traces of sunscreen or insect repellent on a hook, bait, or line will repel fish. So just washing your hands well with unscented soap and water after applying sunscreen or insect spray is probably good enough.

Pine tar soap is traditionally used by hunters around here. I don't know that all the fancy commercial products out there have any scientific basis for working any better than just taking a good bath with unscented soap. Or if you do use scent, make it a scent that comes directly from nature. For example, many people use "dirt" fragrance oil in a soap made for hunters, but I guarantee a synthetic Dirt FO isn't going to smell anything like dirt to a deer.

Latest posts

Back